MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Raster tiles for offline application

Posted 08-24-2022 09:08
    Hi, I am using MapXtreme SDK for an offline windows applications. For a past project I used a map consisting of raster tiles at different zoom levels (4-16) in .tif format. Now I need map of another cities, I was wondering could you suggest me а map provider, which you know works with MapInfo supported formats and provide raster tiles.
    Applications I write are offline and need to have the files located on the PC. Most of time I use raster tiles (satellite images or street images for example), but there is also a situations where need vector type maps.
    Forgive me if the question is not appropriate here.

Regards,
    Nik

------------------------------
    Nikolay Iliev
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Raster tiles for offline application

Employee
    Posted 08-30-2022 02:17
    Hi Nikolay

I'm not sure how many mapping providers would allow you to download the data from their tile service for offline usage. Very few I would think if any at all. They want you to use their service to ensure you are using the latest version of the tiles and to ensure you don't use something without paying too :-)

But on the other hand, I'm not familiar with the many satellite image companies and their business model.

As long as they can provide the tiles in a file structure that matches for example the file structure of Bing, Google, or OSM you should be able to use these.

And then there is Open Street Map, of course. But that's, as far as I know, only street data. This can also be downloaded in vector format for you to work with.

Precisely sell a road map data product called StreetPro which also may fit your requirements. This is also vector based. Let me know if you want more information about the options here.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Raster tiles for offline application

Posted 08-31-2022 09:27
    Hi Peter,
    Thank you for the information. Yes, looks like most of them requires you to use services.

Regards,
    Nik

Nikolay Iliev
    Knowledge Community Shared Account