MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Opening Workspace Issue

Posted 02-06-2023 22:45
    Hi,
    I'm 3 months into a new role using MapInfo Pro for the first time coming from 13 plus years as an ESRI user (and I don't make any apologies for saying I'm finding the switch frustrating) and have encountered a recent issue opening previously saved workspaces.
    Files I'd worked on last week in MapInfo Pro v2021 (Release 25) wouldn't open correctly. That is, they would be appearing to open then all of a sudden everything would go blank and I'd be left with a single window with the Ribbon on top but nothing else and no error messages. I've attached an example of what I get.
    Image showing after opening workspace and windows displayed.
    After trying a number of things as a novice, plus updating to the latest release of Pro, I finally thought I had some success this afternoon when I copied the .wor file and renamed it then opened it. This appeared to work fine and everything appeared as it should. As a test I then saved the workspace after making some changes as well as making a copy with Save Workspace As. Closing Pro, I then tried reopening the 2 workspaces and the issue was back again. I repeated the steps with the same results. Up until 2 weeks ago I was still using v2019 and this issue hadn't occurred. Anybody have any ideas on a cause?
    Thanks.

------------------------------
    Mark McGovern
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: Opening Workspace Issue

Employee
    Posted 02-07-2023 00:07
    Hi Mark
    This looks quite weird. It seems that the rendering of the windows isn't working as expected.
    I wonder if it somehow is related to the WOX file which should store the location of tool windows.

How do your Workspace Preferences look (Pro, Options, Workspace)?
    Can you try to change them so that these settings have been turned off
    • Include Windows Location, State or Size Changes
    • Include Tool Windows with Workspace

Is Autosave activated?

You probably need to create a copy of the WOR file again. Open the workspace and try to save it again to see if the issue comes back.

If this doesn't help, I suggest that you reach out to our support team at support@precisely.com

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Opening Workspace Issue

Posted 02-07-2023 00:31
    Hi Peter,
    You found the words to describe it that I couldn't. It was like the windows were there but not displaying correctly.

I updated the preferences to what you indicated, then Saved Workspace As to a new file.
    On opening the new workspace it opened as it should.
    For reference I've attached what mine were below which I probably didn't update from the previous release.

Thanks very much for your assistance.

Kind regards
    Mark
    Workspace preferences before changing to supplied.

Mark McGovern

• 4.  RE: Opening Workspace Issue

Posted 02-07-2023 05:00
    Hi Mark
    I don't tick the Auto Save Workspace option, as this also saves the current view - every 10 minutes. Not so good if you want your workspace to open at the same location and scale each time.

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Opening Workspace Issue

Posted 02-07-2023 18:02
    Thanks John. A project I'm working on currently involves moving around our municipal area updating data so it would suit for the workspace to save at the last location I was working on. I'll keep that in mind though.
    Thanks,
    Mark

Mark McGovern