MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Grid reference mapping: MBX tool for creating points and squares of different sizes from a table of Ordnance Survey British National Grid grid references

Posted 06-09-2022 11:08
    I had a MapBasic tool called 'GridRefMapper 12.mbx' which worked in 32-bit MapInfo Pro, but not in 64-bit.  When I try, the error given is:
    (gridrefmapper 12.mb:102) Cannot open file error_log.txt. 

It worked fine in Pro v15.  It generated points and grid squares from a table of British National Grid grid references - the squares were sized according to the precision of the grid reference i.e. 6-figure or more - points, 4-figure - 1km square, 2 figure - 10km square, Tetrad - 2km square.  I don't have the source code.

There is a similar tool - a Python plugin - for QGIS called TomBio, but it would be good to have something similar in MapInfo.

I wondered if anyone knows of such a MapBasic programme?  Or why it no longer works in 63-bit Pro?

Thanks,
    Jane

------------------------------
    Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 2.  RE: Grid reference mapping: MBX tool for creating points and squares of different sizes from a table of Ordnance Survey British National Grid grid references

Employee
    Posted 06-10-2022 09:06
    Is there any information with the GridRefMapper tool on its creator?  A help file or link?  Probably needs to have some code changes to make it work in x64, perhaps there is a hard-coded path in this tool that no longer exists.
    Perhaps if the creator could be contacted they may be able to make the changes and recompile the MBX.  If they would provide the source code for this tool, we might be able to fix it ourselves.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

• 3.  RE: Grid reference mapping: MBX tool for creating points and squares of different sizes from a table of Ordnance Survey British National Grid grid references

Posted 06-10-2022 09:27
    Thanks Bill - I'll try and find out.

Best regards,
    Jane

Jane Mason

• 4.  RE: Grid reference mapping: MBX tool for creating points and squares of different sizes from a table of Ordnance Survey British National Grid grid references

Posted 06-13-2022 17:02
    Hi Jane,

Does a file called "error_log.txt" exist?  If so, it might be that the mbx program doesn't have write access to this file.  Perhaps deleting it will help.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: Grid reference mapping: MBX tool for creating points and squares of different sizes from a table of Ordnance Survey British National Grid grid references

Posted 06-21-2022 06:35
    Thanks for your help, James.  Unfortunately I already tried removing the existing file and the same message occurs so the source code is necessary.

Best wishes,
    Jane

Jane Mason