MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Monday: Quick Ranged Theme

Employee
    Posted 11-14-2022 02:43
    Happy #MapInfoMonday,

Today's​ post is a quick one. I will in a short article present how you quickly can apply a ranged theme to a layer using a new feature added to the WindowHelper tool.

First, you need to install the WindowHelper from the MapInfo Marketplace. You can access the MapInfo Marketplace from the Home tab. It's located as one of the last controls on the tab. Once you have opened the MapInfo Marketplace, look for the WindowHelper tool, and use the Install button to download and install the tool. Now you are ready to use the additional capabilities this tool adds to MapInfo Pro.

Using Quick Ranged Theme

Right-click on the layer on which you want to create a ranged thematic layer and from the context menu select Quick Ranged Theme....

In the dialog Quick Ranged Theme, the layer has been preselected in the list. You only have to select one of the numeric columns listed in the Select Column for Thematic Map list and select a color range from the Select Color Range list.

The color range Red that I have selected allows you to set the number of ranges using the # of Ranges list 

Some of the color ranges have a predefined number of ranges that you can't change from the start. You can however change this afterward which I will address later. That is for example the case for all the ColorBrewer color ranges

Now click OK to create and see your ranged thematic map. That was quick, eh?

Modifying your thematic layer

We introduced Interactive Thematic back in MapInfo Pro v17.0. This allows you to quickly modify an existing thematic map with a few clicks using the Theme tab. The Theme tab appears when you select a thematic layer in the Layer List.

From the Theme tab, you can change all the settings that control your thematic layer. You can change the field or expression used for the thematic layer, you can change the number of ranges and the calculation method, and from the Color Palettes dropdown you can with a single click switch to a different color palette.

I hope you like this new way to quickly create a ranged thematic map. I might add other thematic layer types such a Individual if I see requests for them. Do let me know if that's something you'd like to see in WindowHelper moving forward.

Enjoy the rest of your #MapInfoMonday!​

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Quick Ranged Theme

Employee
    Posted 11-14-2022 16:34

Wow, I normally went through the "Add Theme" option, but this is a great quick alternative!
    I didn't know this dialog existed.

Thank you, Peter! 

Ruslan Sultanov
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Monday: Quick Ranged Theme

Employee
    Posted 11-15-2022 03:29
    Edited by Peter Møller 11-15-2022 03:29
    It's only been available in WindowHelper for the last couple of weeks, Ruslan.

I'm glad you like it. The idea is to make the creation easier as you can alter most things through the Theme tab.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data