Data360 Analyze

View Only
  • 1.  Help understanding the Search tool in Data360 Analyze

Posted 11-07-2022 17:56
      |   view attached
    I'm struggling to understand the data flow search tool for data360 Analyze.  In the attached image I'm searching for 'Modify'.  I click search and get 'no results' when there are multiple Modify Fields nodes visible.  I am within a composite node.  If I go up to the main dataflow level and search for 'Modify' node types I get results from that level.  I've read the help file.  Get the feeling I'm just not understanding or doing something wrong, but would appreciate some guidance in the right direction.

I've read this line from the help a couple of times, but not clear what it means:

"When searching by node, the search will only locate nodes that have been explicitly added to the document, or edited in this instance of the document. Inherited nodes that have not been edited will not be found. For example, the Sort and Transform nodes within an Aggregate node will not be found unless you have edited them."

Jim

------------------------------
    James Holloway
    Experian US
    ALLEN TX

• 2.  RE: Help understanding the Search tool in Data360 Analyze

Posted 11-08-2022 08:49
    The highlighted section below, refers to composite library nodes, they are a combination of nodes put together to comprise the library node. For example if you drag an Aggregate node onto the data flow, right click it and select open you will see the screen shot below. The Aggregate is composed of a Sort and Transform node. The search functionality will not find the Sort or Tansform within this Aggregate library node unless you drill into the node on your canvas and edit the Sort or Transform node, i.e. make local changes, see second screen shot. The pencil icon on the Transform node indicates a local change has been made.

I believe what you are experiencing is a bug. The Search functionality should have found the nodes from your screenshot based on what you provided.

"When searching by node, the search will only locate nodes that have been explicitly added to the document, or edited in this instance of the document. Inherited nodes that have not been edited will not be found. For example, the Sort and Transform nodes within an Aggregate node will not be found unless you have edited them."

Ron Ricard
    Forrester Research
    Cambridge MA

• 3.  RE: Help understanding the Search tool in Data360 Analyze

Posted 11-09-2022 08:13
    Ron,

I appreciate the description of how the search function handles composite nodes, helpful.  

I will look into gathering background data and opening a support case (I'll start by trying the same search in our other environment and see if I get the same results (or lack of)).  

Jim

James Holloway
    Experian US
    ALLEN TX