Automate

View Only
  • 1.  Get current workflow step to Excel Data File in Excel Workflow

Posted 03-10-2023 08:32

Is there any way for Excel as part of Excel Workflow to know on which step it is currently in? We want to show different user instructions in Excel based on workflow step.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Alexey Skotnikov
    Abbott Rapid Diagnostics AS

• 2.  RE: Get current workflow step to Excel Data File in Excel Workflow

Employee
    Posted 03-10-2023 11:24

You may be already aware that the User has the Process History option available in the Addin to determine the current workflow step. 

If your requirement is to programatically determine the workflow step and use VBA to display instructions, please be aware that VBA won't work in excel files that have been promoted to server. During the promotion process, the macros are stripped out.  

Jayasri Varyani
    Winshuttle North America

• 3.  RE: Get current workflow step to Excel Data File in Excel Workflow

Posted 03-11-2023 00:50

Hi Jayasri,

Yes, I need this in VBA, or if workflow would sync back to Excel file some solution field into some cells is also fine - then I can use formulas.

By the way, it is not accurate that macros are striped out. I am using Excel in workflow with macros at least in 20.3. And even some tutorials from Winshuttle (e.g. FB50 template) has macros.

Alexey Skotnikov
    Abbott Rapid Diagnostics AS

• 4.  RE: Get current workflow step to Excel Data File in Excel Workflow

Employee
    Posted 03-13-2023 20:02

Alexey

Macros & special formatting (think pivots) get stripped if you run on server, i.e. run a script via autorun or a plugin in a workflow.  Otherwise, they are available.

I do know you can set a promoted property in a workflow (value setter), but that information will be in the promoted properties, not the Excel file. I don't now of a VBA way to pull in the workflow step.  Maybe someone in the broader audience has ideas?  

Best Regards,

Sigrid

Sigrid Kok
    Precisely Software Inc.