MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Attribute data shifted from correct spatial record

Posted 05-30-2022 11:31
    Hi - I have found a tab file (linked to a SQL server) in which the attribute data has been shifted from the correct polygon.

In 3 separate cases in the table, data from the end columns of the record above have somehow moved down and filled in the start of next, creating useless attribute data. This has moved the correct textual data from that spatial extent to the next, creating a cascading effect down the table where each set of attribute data is one off it's respective polygon and compounded by two subsequent shifts. The start of the dataset is fine, but by the end of the table there are 3 records without spatial extent, the data is 3 places off it's correct polygon, and there are 3 erroneous attribute data added throughout.

I have created a copy of the table to work on and paste back into and override the SQL linked table. Would be interested if anyone had an idea of 1) how this happened, and 2) how to shift all the textual data up 1 place once the erroneous text has been deleted (using v17).

Thanks,
    Chris

• 2.  RE: Attribute data shifted from correct spatial record

Employee
    Posted 05-31-2022 01:59
    Hi Chris

When exporting to CSV I have earlier seen similar things happen if the text in the field has special characters like a new line character.
    I would however not expect this to happen when reading data from a database!?

Has the data in the database been updated to reflect this cascading effect? If you only have read data from the database and have not updated the database table from MapInfo Pro, the data in the database should still be correct.

Have you been able to see if there were any special characters in the text where the text got split and moved into a new record?

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Attribute data shifted from correct spatial record

Posted 05-31-2022 09:25
    To fix it, I would export to MIF/MID, delete the 3 duplicate lines at the top of the MID file, and then re-import.

Carefully test the result !

Uffe Kousgaard
    ROUTEWARE
    Roskilde

• 4.  RE: Attribute data shifted from correct spatial record

Posted 05-31-2022 14:25
    Thank you very much, Uffe! This worked perfectly.

Peter - I couldn't find any characters which would have caused problems so the cause remains unknown, but it must be rare. The database and tab file are live-linked so when the table was previously saved the database copy was also affected.

Chris Maynard
    Knowledge Community Shared Account