MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Opening/saving workspace

Posted 08-17-2021 11:05
    I have a client who is having a "open workspace" issue. When he clicks on a workspace on the display page (the listing) or in a list of workspaces from within MapInfo itself, the name of the workspace always shows as *unknown.wor on the top bar. When he works on the workspace he selected, the "save option" is greyed out - and so the only option is the "save as". However, it all works correctly if he opens Mapinfo by "Double clicking" on a .wor file name....Any comments!

------------------------------
    Giselle Schween
    Zone 14 GeoInfo Solutions
    Winnipeg MB

• 2.  RE: Opening/saving workspace

Posted 08-17-2021 11:18

Is the WOR file "read only" or stored on a drive where they do not have write access?

-- Steve

• 3.  RE: Opening/saving workspace

Posted 08-17-2021 11:30
    Good point.  I will check with them.  However, when he double-clicks from window explorer, it opens up in Mapinfo, with the name on the top of the MapInfo Screen - and the save is activated....

Giselle Schween
    Winnipeg MB

• 4.  RE: Opening/saving workspace

Posted 08-17-2021 17:18
    One thing I do know is that even though he is working on his hard drive, it is synced to save to OneDrive.  I'm not sure if this is the issue.

Giselle Schween
    Winnipeg MB

• 5.  RE: Opening/saving workspace

Posted 08-18-2021 14:09
    Hi Giselle,

There are two distinct ways workspaces are opened in Pro:
    1. "Open Workspace" command. If you selected this command in the UI and have something already opened in Pro, we will ask you to close/save you current workspace and then we will open your workspace. 
    2. "Add Workspace" command: we keep you current workspace as it as and add the content of the workspace that you are opening to the existing workspace.

Under the covers, in first case we are running this MapBasic command:
    Run Application <workspace name> mode current

In the second case we are running this MapBasic command:
    Run Application <workspace name>

When you double click on a WOR file, we are executing "Add Workspace" command.

This might explains some of the difference that your client is seeing.

OneDrive certainly makes it even more interesting.

Andrei

Andrei Veselov
    Precisely
    Troy NY

• 6.  RE: Opening/saving workspace

Posted 08-19-2021 12:05
    Thanks Andrei.  I'm still wondering though, why my client still can't use any 'shortcuts' for opening a workspace - in either listing.  other than double clicking on a .wor in windows explorer.  Of course, he can open from the shortcuts, but the save is greyed out...and the only way to save any new work, is to save to a new name.  Do you think it is related to the syncing on OneDrive?

Giselle Schween
    Winnipeg MB