Data360 Govern

View Only
  • 1.  Embed Kibana dashboard at Data 360 Govern

Employee
    Posted 02-27-2022 23:07

How can we embed the Kibana dashboard at Govern?
    We have a “day in life” dashboard at Kibana which has the FTP file received time from our vendors and associated SLA details. The idea is to display this dashboard at Govern for better visibility on file arrival status.

We couldn’t find any option to integrate Kibana at Govern. Is there any way to integrate Kibana at Govern?

• 2.  RE: Embed Kibana dashboard at Data 360 Govern

Employee
    Posted 02-28-2022 05:18

Rajesh,

An enhancement request has been opened for review ( Reference GOV-17296 )

Matthew Kennedy

• 3.  RE: Embed Kibana dashboard at Data 360 Govern

Posted 02-28-2022 07:01

<x-zendesk-user data-user-name="Rajesh Koniki">1510547040262</x-zendesk-user>

We have a similar use case where we get start of day delivery of files from 3rd party vendors. I would consider this operational data not governance. I would think this is going to be hard for D360 as a cloud based system to do as they would have to attach to your kibana instance...then what about other clients that need same thing such as us who dont use Kibana!!

We are using a different approach, we are asking D360 to make their content embeddable into our portal, that way we have one stop shopping for transactional, operational and governance tasks. Right now D360 is working with us to make their assets available via SSO so that they can be shown in an iFrame in our portal. Personally I think this is a way better approach for you (more control) and for D360 (not having to connect into each clients reporting tools)

My 2Cents

-p

• 4.  RE: Embed Kibana dashboard at Data 360 Govern

Employee
    Posted 02-28-2022 20:11

Patrick Egan

The idea is to request Kibana dashboard integration with Data 360 platform similar to existing Power BI integration.

We are using Elastic search for all application logs, usage metrics and many others. These logs, usage matrics were used to build Kibana dashboards. 

For Data Governance, these usage metrics are useful to identify the critical data elements.

This feature should be optional and shouldn't impact anyone who doesn't use Kibana. We don't have a use-case to integrate Data 360 services within our existing portals. We are encouraging users to connect Data 360 services by enabling SSO.

• 5.  RE: Embed Kibana dashboard at Data 360 Govern

Employee
    Posted 02-28-2022 20:11

Thanks for the consideration Matthew Kennedy

• 6.  RE: Embed Kibana dashboard at Data 360 Govern

Posted 03-01-2022 06:25

<x-zendesk-user data-user-name="Rajesh Koniki">1510547040262</x-zendesk-user>

Im not sure the integration is the same, D360 has a license to render Power BI dashboards within their platform which they do for metadata. They are using their licensed copy of Power BI for their clients to build reports which are then easily renderable within the platform. This is baked into the cost of licensing the D360 platform. If I understand your ask then its one of two options 

1) D360 would need to install and license Kibana and somehow load your logs, this can be expensive for them as elastic license has changed for commercial usage and they will have to store your logs which costs them $$ to persist a large amount of data. There might also be some lessor security concerns as you are now providing a different set of data in operational data to D360

2) Alternatively, they would somehow have to access your version of Kibana to render in their platform, something that I would not allow if I was a CSO of a company. There would have to be firewall, SSO and architectural governance exceptions made in order for D360 to access your content and your instance of Kibana

There are many areas to manage for CDEs including metadata governance, data quality, operational, transactional and SLA, trying to get D360 to do more than the first one is going to be a challenge. Each company will handle this differently which is why we (alpha) are looking at the embedding option as we now control the narrative around each of these areas and not entrusting it into the hands of a third party vendor.

There is no right or wrong answer here, but due diligence needs to take place both from a client and a vendors perspective.

Regards

-p