MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapinfo with Sharepoint/OneDrive

Posted 09-24-2020 06:44
    Given the Covid situation, I'd guess a lot of organisations like mine are looking to shift all or most servers onto Sharepoint, which works way faster remotely.

I've been experimenting with this and Mapinfo. The "Mapinfo doesnt work with Sharepoint" line in other posts doesn't seem to be true, I guess because MS have changed their systems.

• OneDrive works fine (but see below!)
    • Sharepoint has a "sync" option. This syncs Sharepoint docs/folders to OneDrive. They are then accessible through file explorer etc, and fast in Mapinfo.
    So that's all great.

Only problem is, the way that Mapinfo stores file references in workspaces. So for a Sharepoint folder, shared across a team and sync to Onedrive, it looks like this (for example)
    Open Table "C:\Users\martin.burroughs\Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council\reformsps - Documents\Insight and intel\GIS\10000.TAB" As _10000 Interactive

So it's taking the shared location but referencing it with a path that is only useful to a single user- not good if we are sharing workspaces.

There is an alternative path syntax, which Excel uses
    ='https://oldham365.sharepoint.com/sites/reformsps/Shared Documents/Insight and intel/GIS/[filename]sheetname'!$B$1
    referring back to the sharepoint location not the Onedrive sync

This is better as it isn't dependent on the single user specific path.

I've tried replicating that sort of filepath into a workspace using notepad without success.
    I tried
    Open Table "https://oldham365.sharepoint.com/sites/reformsps/Shared Documents/Insight and intel/GIS/10000.TAB" As _10000 Interactive
    it just asks for the file location

So my question is, how do I achieve that shared link? Or is it a minor fix that could be delivered in a future Mapinfo version?

Martin

------------------------------
    Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo with Sharepoint/OneDrive

Employee
    Posted 09-25-2020 08:44
    Hi Martin

Not sure how helpful this advice is but let me give it a try anyhow.
    1. I'm sure you are aware that MapInfo Pro will try to use relative paths in workspaces. Would it be possible to save the workspace in the OneDrive folder above the folder with your tables? In that way the Open statement might look like:

Open Table "reformsps - Documents\Insight and intel\GIS\10000.TAB" As _10000 Interactive

if you save the workspace in the folder C:\Users\martin.burroughs\Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council\.

Another consideration is to alter the paths using Windows aliases. Admitted I haven't tried that myself, and it would also require that you make this change manually to the workspace. %USERPROFILE% should take you to your user folder in C:\Users: C:\Users\martin.burroughs\.

So maybe changing the path in Open statement in your workspace to would work:
    Open Table "%USERPROFILE%\Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council\reformsps - Documents\Insight and intel\GIS\10000.TAB" As _10000 Interactive

How does editing the tables work for you when they are located in the OneDrive folder? I'm wondering if you get into a situation where the file gets locked by OneDrive when it tries to syncronise it?

Try to raise the support for the HTTP path as an idea on the Precisely Ideas. You can find a link in the Precisely Sites dropdown at the top of this page.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo with Sharepoint/OneDrive

Posted 09-25-2020 08:57
    There is an Idea logged for Sharepoint on the site - just add your votes, comments or start a new one.
    https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/MIPRO-I-396

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 4.  RE: Mapinfo with Sharepoint/OneDrive

Posted 09-25-2020 11:27
    Thanks Peter.

Just been trying the first example. I can't save in that folder, but I can save in \insight and intel and then do a relative link from there
    Open Table "\GIS\10000.TAB" doesn't work

second one
    Open Table "%USERPROFILE%\Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council\reformsps - Documents\Insight and intel\GIS\10000.TAB" As _10000 Interactive
    Best so far...it asks me to locate the file, but it has navigated me to the folder the file is in! Frustatingly close.

When I do locate the files, however, it then isn't producing maps or layouts.

Editing tables seems ok actually, just tried one, the edit seems to persist and the file is marked as synced.

I'll try raising an idea as you say. Feels like it's all on the brink of achievable.

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 5.  RE: Mapinfo with Sharepoint/OneDrive

Posted 09-25-2020 11:43
    Now present as an idea.
    https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/MIPRO-I-1373

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council