MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Posted 03-23-2020 10:30
    Hi, I work for the Health Service in the UK and obviously in the current crisis we are being asked to work from home where possible and also to limit the number and bandwidth of VPN connections as we need to reserve these for critical functions.  My problem is that I can access all my software and files via Office365 and One drive, but my mapinfo will not work unless it can talk to the licence server which requires a VPN connection.  It's the only thing that's left between me and freeing up another VPN connection.  Is there any way around this for the time being?

Thanks
    Mike

------------------------------
    Mike Hemming
    NHS Wales Informatics Service (NWIS
    Pontypool

• 2.  RE: Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Employee
    Posted 03-23-2020 11:19
    Hi Mike

A few things to try out:
    1. Can you connect using VPN and launch MapInfo Pro and then close your VPN connection again? Make sure that MapInfo Pro keeps working which I think it will.
    2. If you have a Concurrent license with Borrow, you can connect using VPN, launch MapInfo Pro and now via the License tab on the Pro tab/Backstage borrow the MapInfo Pro license for a few days/weeks.
    Hopefully one of these methods will work for you

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data

• 3.  RE: Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Posted 03-23-2020 11:47
    Very helpful Peter thanks, don't have the borrow option, its greyed out, but up to now it looks like option 1 is working for me.

Thanks
    Mike

Mike Hemming
    Pontypool

• 4.  RE: Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Posted 04-01-2020 06:19
    Hi there, we do have three concurrent licences but there's no borrow option available either on my local machine or the licence server, if I need to use this option how do I go about enabling it?  Had a situation this morning where our vpn was unavailable so the second option would be helpful.

Mike

Mike Hemming
    Pontypool

• 5.  RE: Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Posted 04-02-2020 08:32
    Hi Mike
    Just go back to your supplier and request a Concurrent with Borrowing and they should be able to issue you with a new Serial No
    (which you register on the LSU - after returning the first one)​.
    Regards

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Employee
    Posted 04-03-2020 01:51
    Hi Mike, 

Borrowable and Concurrent are 2 different types of licenses. The option to borrow a license for a specified number of days is available only for the borrowable option. Also to note, if the license is already borrowed in MapInfo Pro the option will be grayed out and option 'Return borrowed license' should be  enabled. 

Concurrent is the ''Floating Non-Borrowable" license model. Here the moment you close the MapInfo Pro session, the license will be returned to the LSU. It will then be available for someone else to use. You will again have to borrow this license when you start your MapInfo Pro session. 

As John suggests, please talk to your supplier to see which license model suits you better. 

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida

• 7.  RE: Using Mapinfo remotely without VPN

Employee
    Posted 04-03-2020 02:38
    It is also recommended that the Borrowable and Concurrent licenses are not maintained in the same License Server. 

Regards,
    Shweta

Shweta Shukla
    Pitney Bowes Software India
    Noida