MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Adv

Posted 02-11-2020 08:57
    Hi,

Does anyone recommend any additional hardware spec for running Advanced, on Windows10, on top of the spec for Pro?

More oomph required?

Thanks,

Nick

------------------------------
    Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Adv

Posted 02-13-2020 00:43
    Advanced does not require a high specification machine, but it does not hurt to have good hardware.

CPU

Raster processing operations will take advantage of multi-core CPU's and hyperthreaded CPU's, but we often limit the number of threads to 16. So if you have a machine with more than 8 cores, you might not get the full benefit. Machines with 4 to 8 cores are best.

GPU

Advanced does not use the GPU.

SSD/HDD

I recommend using a fast SSD instead of an HDD but mainly because the rest of your system will benefit. When you are rendering rasters there is not a huge IO bandwidth requirement. Data is acquired from the storage at the resolution it is needed and often this data is compressed. When you are processing rasters IO speed can make a big difference. That's when an SSD shines.

Memory

Advanced maintains a cache of raster data and the larger this cache is, the better. It is good to be able to allocate at least 2 GB to the raster cache. On my laptop I allow it to use up to about 22 GB. So, more RAM is better, but as long as you have a few GB spare, you ought to be in good shape.

Sam Roberts
    Engineer, MapInfo Pro Advanced (Raster)
    Australia