MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Rotate raster files

Posted 12-11-2020 15:29
    Greetings from Holland,
    I reconstruct historical maps starting with the Dutch cadastral maps from 1832
    These maps need to be rotated before they can be georeferenced, so the north arrow is up.
    For many years I used Microsoft Office Picture Manager (MOPM) to do that
    Something changed in MOPM and now after rotation it wil not save, instead I get a blanc page.
    Reducing the size of these maps is no solution as I need be able to read the cadastral numbers on these maps.
    It would be terrific if this functionality would be part of 2019.4, or is there another way to do that?
    Thanks in advance

------------------------------
    Ad van Ooststroom
    Bergen Op Zoom (Nld)

• 2.  RE: Rotate raster files

Employee
    Posted 12-13-2020 11:29

MapInfo advance has Warp Image tool that allows both image transformation as well as geo-referencing.

It accepts affine transform and ground control points (GCP) to rotate and/or geo-reference an image.

If a sample image and a desired output is provided,  I can help with finding the right affine parameters.

sujit thakur
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Rotate raster files

Employee
    Posted 12-14-2020 01:39
    Edited by Anshul Goel 12-14-2020 03:03
    Hello Ad,

As already mentioned by @sujit thakur we have warp tool for this purpose. You'll need to have MapInfo Advanced License for it to work.

If your purpose is just to rotate the Rasters then you can open the tool and select ​"Affine User Defined Transforms" from the drop-down. This will give you option to Translate, Shear, Scale, Rotate and translate the Map to World X and Y co-ordinates.

Warp tool accepts Rotation values in Radian and rotation happens in anticlockwise direction. So if you want to rotate your image 90 degrees left then value in Radian will be ~1.5708, for 180 degrees ~3.14159.

The above parameters should work since your data is not georeferenced. But in case you wish to rotate georeferenced data then the above parameters will change.

You can also explore additional parameters available in Affine User Defined Transforms to get the desired output.

In case your data is in JPG or PNG formats then you will have to enable those drivers from Backstage->Options->Raster Preferences->Raster Formats->Raster Imagery (.png;.jpg). We generally keep it disabled due to some known performance issues. So we would advise to disable these drivers when not needed.

Hope this helps.
    Please let us know if you need additional information on the same.

Thanks
    Anshul

Anshul Goel
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 4.  RE: Rotate raster files

Posted 12-14-2020 09:59
    I Use 19.3 already, what do I need to do to get and Advanced License?

Ad VanOoststroom
    NLD-BERGEN OP AD VAN OOSTSTROOM
    Bergen Op Zoom

• 5.  RE: Rotate raster files

Employee
    Posted 12-14-2020 10:19
    You would have to upgrade to MapInfo Pro Advanced.

Before doing that I'd recommend that you try it out using the 30 day trial for MapInfo Pro Advanced. You can activate your trial via the Backstage (the Pro tab) and Licensing.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 6.  RE: Rotate raster files

Posted 12-14-2020 11:27
    Tank Peter, I take a look at that.

Ad van O.

Ad VanOoststroom
    Bergen Op Zoom

• 7.  RE: Rotate raster files

Posted 12-15-2020 08:34
    Paint.net is free software that has rotates built in, might be worth a look. Load-select all-rotate (various commands)-save as .

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 8.  RE: Rotate raster files

Posted 12-15-2020 11:59
    Exactly what I need, thanks Martin.

Ad van Ooststroom

Ad VanOoststroom
    Bergen Op Zoom