MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Pro Virtual Raster User Guide and Reference

Posted 09-07-2020 19:05
      |   view attached
    I have prepared a (lengthy) document that describes the MapInfo Virtual Raster (MVR) format. It should be used in conjunction with MapInfo Pro 2019 Patch 3, due to be released in October 2020. Some of the features described in this document will not be available in previous releases.

An MVR file is an XML text file that you can load into MapInfo Pro in just the same way that you load any other raster format. Pro will create a TAB file to accompany the MVR file when you first mount it.

This document also describes how to write rendering algorithms. Rendering algorithms can be embedded in an MVR and will usually be the raster source for an "Image" field in an MVR.

An MRD file is an XML text file that contains a rendering algorithm. You can load an MRD into MapInfo Pro in just the same way that you load any other raster format. Pro will create a TAB file to accompany the MRD file when you first mount it. This document does not cover MRD files explicitly, but the XML for a rendering algorithm is fully described.

------------------------------
    Sam Roberts
    Engineer, MapInfo Pro Advanced (Raster)
    Australia

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Pro Virtual Raster User Guide and Reference

Posted 09-13-2020 22:47
    Hi Sam,

Thanks for the great info, I can see this being very useful.

Do you know if there are plans to support MRV and MRD in Spectrum Spatial?

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Pro Virtual Raster User Guide and Reference

Posted 09-13-2020 22:58
    I don't think there are concrete plans but I think they would like to do so. There is an ongoing effort to port the entire raster code base to Linux so that it can be use in Spectrum Spatial. This porting should be complete by the end of the calendar year.

Sam Roberts
    Engineer, MapInfo Pro Advanced (Raster)
    Australia