MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Printing rotated labels

Posted 06-26-2019 04:32
    ​We experience an annoying problem with rotated labels. They look fine on the screen, but when we print, they simply disappear. It doesn't matter whether we use MI's own pdf-printer or an external like Bluebeam. The problem exists with several versions of MapInfo and on most of our PCs, but confusingly a few apparently identical installations work.

Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Bo Christensen
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 2.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Employee
    Posted 06-27-2019 04:31
    Hi Bo
    Do you have other labels on the map near the rotated labels? Are you printing from map window or from a layout? What versions of MapInfo Pro are you using?

One thing to keep in mind is that in a map, the labels are rendered using the screen resolution when seen on the screen.
    If you create a layout, that's the new layout in 64-bit I'm referring to here, and when printing the labels are rendered using the resolution of the printer.

This difference might also effect which labels are visible on the print.

I'm however not convinced this is the problem in your case.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 06-27-2019 05:06
    Hi Peter
    ​I am using 17.0.3 and my colleague 15.2. Same result. Below find a screen shot of a map with two labels plus a text. The pdf-version is seen on the next screen shot. The result is the same on a physical printer and if I print from a map window or from a layout window. The strange thing is that it works as expected on another PC with apparently the same installation ...

Bo Christensen

• 4.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 06-27-2019 17:47
    Hi Bo,
    We need to see if we can find out what's different on the machines where the output works. Can you check to see if you have different Output settings setup? Compare your Output Preferences (for 17.0.3 it's on the Backstage > Options > Output Settings) between a machine that works and one that doesn't. 

Have you tried using Subdivide Printing? That's available on the Printing tab for Output Settings?

Do all labels disappear, or only some? If you remove the raster layer and then print, do the labels appear?

Do you have the same problem if you export the map instead of printing it?

Can you try some different things like horizontal labels, or even curved labels? Is the output still missing labels? 

if possible I could try and reproduce the problem here - can you package up your data and send us a workspace?

Michele Buselli
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC

• 5.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 06-28-2019 02:51
      |   view attached
    Hi Michele,
    I have not yet been able to check all setting of the installation that works. My colleagues have not been able to find anything.
    Subdivide didn't help. All rotated labels disappear and rotated text objects turn out as black boxes. Removing raster doesn't help. Saving the map window as jpg works fine. Curved labels work!
    I attach a simple test workspace​.
    /Bo

Bo Christensen
    Shelton CT

Attachment(s)

zip
    Test.zip   98 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 06-28-2019 04:30
    Have now checked the printer output settings of 3 installations - one working correctly and two not.​ There is no clue there ... /Bo

Bo Christensen
    Shelton CT

• 7.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 07-01-2019 12:33
    HI Bo,
    Thanks for the zip file. On my Windows 10 machine and using 17.0.3 it prints to PDF correctly - I see all the text.

The fact that you can export the map to an image and see your labels tells me that Pro is probably not the problem.  Also, curved labels are rendered differently (as glyphs) than horizontal/rotated labels or text objects which are rendered using windows Font API. I can only guess that there could be something wrong with how fonts are installed on those machines which don't work, but it's only a guess. You haven't mentioned whether these machines are different OS's or different versions of the same OS. Have you looked at your PDF viewer settings? I've discovered in my Adobe Acrobat Reader in the Document Properties (File > Properties) there is a Fonts tab - tells which fonts are used by the document. Does that look correct?

Have you reached out to tech support? They may have more ideas on what the problem could be.

Michele Buselli
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC

• 8.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 07-02-2019 07:00
    Hi Michele, Peter,
    This sounds like the same issue we reported to Ticia McGean, where we are getting black boxes on any rotated text whilst running MapInfo via Citrix. Ticia had a remote session with my colleague Andy Bendall to see the problem. Unfortunately Citrix haven't been able to determine the issue either.

Regards
    David

David Wilson
    Buchanan Computing
    London, UK

• 9.  RE: Printing rotated labels

Posted 07-02-2019 08:01
    ​Hi Michele and David

Thanks for the input. We have tested rotated labels with both ArcGIS and QGIS. That works as expected on one the PCs that doesn't work with MapInfo.

There is no difference whether we work in the office or from home via Citrix.

/Bo

Bo Christensen
    COWI