MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Several bugs with heat maps

Posted 08-11-2021 12:50
    Edited by Nick Canale 08-11-2021 12:51
    Hi there, I'm trying to use the heatmap functionality but it seems broken.

Firstly, it seems that after a certain point of me running different heat maps the functionality completely bugs out and just makes my whole screen red. see bugs out.png attached. If I restart mapinfo I'm able to get the heatmap to work properly, but eventually it will bug out again.

Secondly, take a look at the attached maps. One has the bing hybrid map turned off, and one has it turned on. As you can see when I turn on the bing hybrid map the whole thing shifts down and is inaccurate. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thirdly, the heatmap functionality won't work at all if you pull data directly from SQL into a table. I have to save a copy of the table and then open that before the heat map will work. If I don't, it crashes the program when I try to do heatmaps. Not a game breaker but super annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

------------------------------
    Nick Canale
    Instinctive Insights
    Lewis Center OH

• 2.  RE: Several bugs with heat maps

Employee
    Posted 08-11-2021 13:44
    Edited by Anshul Goel 08-11-2021 13:44
    Hello Nick,

For 2nd issue, have you tried enabling Image Reprojection and see if it aligns correctly.
    Map->Map Options->Image Processing->Optimized

You may need to enable block access for Raster in case reprojection is slow.

For 1st issue, please reach out to our technical support team at support@precisely.com.
    Please provide all relevant information to reproduce the issue along with data. We can then analyze the issue and come up with a solution.

For 3rd issue, Heatmap won't work if you pull data directly from SQL into a table. This is currently by design. Anyhow MapInfo should not crash and we will create a bug for the same.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Anshul

Anshul Goel
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Several bugs with heat maps

Posted 08-11-2021 16:53

Thanks Anshul! I tried turning on optimzied and creating a heatmap but it's been processing for a very long time (over 15 minutes) and I don't know if it'll ever finish. I don't know what "You may need to enable block access for Raster in case reprojection is slow." means, can you help me understand what I should try?

I'll email support with my issue #1 with data and instructions on how to reproduce the issue to see if they can help nail down why this is happening.

​Thanks again for your help!

Nick Canale
    Instinctive Insights
    Lewis Center OH

• 4.  RE: Several bugs with heat maps

Employee
    Posted 08-12-2021 00:03
    Hello Nick,

There is no need to generate the output again. Image reprojection setting gets applied to existing mapper tab so it should fix the shift issue. This is happening because projection of Bing layer and Heatmap output is different. So we need to enable Image Reprojection to reproject Heatmap output to Bing Layer projection (Popular Visualization CRS). This option only impacts rendering and doesn't change the projection of Heatmap output.

Since we are enabling Image Reprojection for Raster layer so it made sense to enable block access. Enabling block access improves Raster image reprojection performance along with other benefits. This is generally the case with Large Rasters. In case you are experiencing performance degradation after enabling Image Reprojection then you can follow below steps to enable block access.

Go to Backstage->Options->MapInfo Pro Raster->Preferences->Display check "Enable Block Access" checkbox. Once checked you will notice a new "Display Resampling Method" option displayed. This is the default Resampling method that gets applied to new Raster files. For now we will set it to "Nearest Neighbor". Click "Apply" and restart MapInfo.

This will enable block access. This will also add "Raster Quality" drop-down in Raster Tab. "Raster Quality" drop-down allows you to view/change the current resampling method applied to Raster file (In this case HeatMap output). Please note that block access will not work if resampling method is set to "None". So please select any of the Raster method for it to work.
    Hope this helps.

Also would like to highlight that with our upcoming release of MapInfo 2021 we will be providing option for "Tile Server Reprojection" which lets you reproject Tile Server and WMTS table. So basically in this case you can simply reproject Bing layer to Heatmap output projection to fix the shifting issue. You can read more about it here.

Anshul Goel
    Precisely