Data360 Govern

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

• 1.  Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 10-15-2021 10:19

We are loading a lot of Data Dictionary information so there is a hierarchy involved [Host].[Database].[Schema].[Table].[Column]

There is no easy way to see a tabulated version of this content. We have an asset path but its a single text and not searchable see below, its not very user friendly

What we would like is a flattened asset path when its in a hierarchy and then shown in a tabulated form see below. This would be searchable for any level in the hierarchy rather than just the asset and its parent. One of the big issues we have is if has same tablename and schema is in two instances so we have no way of knowing or searching without seeing the full hierarchical path.

• 2.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Employee
    Posted 11-16-2021 10:46

Hi Patrick,

Working with Danielle I was able to retrieve the following document that may assist with this. It appears that "Asset Path" filtering is being added to the "Global Search" as part of the 2021 sprint 10 release.

Matthew Kennedy

Attached files

Asset Path Filtering Explained.docx

• 3.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 11-16-2021 11:20

Matthew although this is good to know it doesn't answer the fundamental challenge here. For example I have a schema table column that are the same the only difference here is the database see below

PRODUCTION/DBO/DIM_SECURITY/CUSIP

QA/DBO/DIM_SECURITY/CUSIP

Because the column grid shows just the immediate parent (DIM_SECURITY) it makes these rows look like they are duplicate when in fact they are not. Data360 needs to provide a way to show the fully qualified asset path in the asset grid to resolve this. Although you can put in the asset path its just one big long string where it should be decomposed into its constituent parts and formatted into the grid.

• 4.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Employee
    Posted 11-19-2021 13:15

Hi Pat,

The asset path field type which can be configured for the "column" asset type, could be made listable and that would display the full path (schema table column) on the list grid which would keep the rows from looking like duplicates.  This will not break it down the way you are asking, but it would show all the data to avoid the confusion of the field looking like a duplicate.  And the document Matthew attached above explains how to filter on the individual segments of the asset path. 

There is also a setting on the asset type called "Auto Display Owner/Parent" which you can uncheck to keep the immediate parent from taking up real-estate on the list grid.  That setting was added at the same time as the asset path field type for that reason.

If you are asking that the behavior of the listable setting be changed to break the asset path field down into the separate columns, then that would be an enhancement.  Which we would likely do as a new setting rather than changing the listable behavior for one field type.  

• 5.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 11-19-2021 14:09

Hi Danielle I get it that you can put the asset path as listable but it looks terrible, there is no context for the asset types that make up the path and its not sortable and its not filterable, all things that the asset path should be. I think this is an enhancement that you should definitely consider.

• 6.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Employee
    Posted 11-24-2021 06:10

Hi Pat, I'll write it up and put it in the queue for review.  

• 7.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 11-24-2021 07:37

Making Relation lookup fields 'listable' would be a massive improvement

If we can't have calculated fields like in SFDC, then building what we want in distinct fields using relation lookup and then make those columns 'listable' (and maybe even hidden from the detail page) would be  solid solution to Patrick's issue.

It drives me crazy that exporting to Excel is often the nest/ only way to go when working with large volumes of technical assets.

I have DB host that has 1,300 Databases, 150K tables and 1.1 million table columns. Filtering the view on the path is a painful process at times

• 8.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Employee
    Posted 01-25-2022 12:17

Hello Pat,

We have decided to implement some new functionality to satisfy the request to decompose the Asset Path into it's individual segments.

Summary:  We are going to give the user the option to select a single segment to be displayed when an Asset Path field type is defined.  Therefore, if you have an Asset Path with 3 segments, and you would like them split into 3 separate fields, you would create 3 field definitions and select a single segment for each.  The default behavior for the Asset Path field type will be to behave as it does today, showing all segments of the path, so for users not wishing to decompose the path, nothing will change.

Details:  When creating a Field Definition for an asset, if the user selects an Input Type of Asset Path, a new panel will display below the standard ADD FIELD TYPE section called "ASSET PATH".  There will be one setting with a check box next to the label "List Single Segment".  If the check box is clicked, a drop-down will be enabled which will list the available segments for the asset path and the user must specify one value.  That is the segment which will display for that Field whether it be on the List Grid (if marked as listable) or on the Definition Tab.  The check box will be defaulted to blank, making asset path work as it does today, displaying all segments of the path. 

For an example of similar functionality, please see the Ownership Lookup field type with the setting "List Single Responsibility Type".

• 9.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 01-25-2022 12:40

Danielle this is great news, especially when I dont want to show N lever hierarchy i mens, I just want to show the lowest component and have the hierarchical path broken out and searchable. Happy to test this out once complete

Regards

-p

• 10.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 01-25-2022 15:14

I concur, this is great news. Thanks <x-zendesk-user data-user-name="Danielle McQuaid">369874444833</x-zendesk-user>

• 11.  RE: Flatten Hierarchy when shoing a child asset

Posted 04-06-2022 06:32

<x-zendesk-user data-user-name="Danielle McQuaid">369874444833</x-zendesk-user> we finally got round to wanting to try this feature out but I can't see where these options are for an Asset Path Datatype. Am I missing something here?