MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Posted 03-30-2021 13:33
    I create attendance zone maps for our school district.  I want to create this kind of interactive map so that parents can look up the school for their students.  This one appears to be created with ESRI.   

Is it possible for me to do this with MapInfo Pro? Are there other pieces I would need to do this? 
    I know I can embed a google map to a web page, but don't know how to add my mapinfo attendance zone layer. Once added I want to be able to click on the attendance zone and have a pop up displaying the schools of attendance for that zone (this would be coming from the data in my layer files).
    I know I can do this with Google Earth Pro, add my attendance zone layer... but still trying to figure out if I can embed that functionality to our website. 

If someone has any ideas or could just point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks
    Marty

------------------------------
    Marty Oneill
    LEANDER INDEPENDENT SCHOOL
    Leander TX

• 2.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Posted 04-01-2021 11:55
    Marty,

You can look into utilizing:

- Google Maps JavaScript API  for the client UI (base map and tools)
    - You can take your attendance zone layer (whatever format) and convert it into a geoJSON format (which Google Can read in as a new layer)
    - Load the GeoJSON as a new layer onto the map (you can make whatever thematics you'd like)

You can then work on the UI interactions with what clicks show/hide the attendance zone layer.

There is nothing out of the box that MapInfo Pro has to do what you are trying to accomplish.  I hope this helps some.

Nicholas Evanish

• 3.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Employee
    Posted 04-08-2021 03:55
    Hi Marty,

Basic maps can be created with Google Maps as you suggest or you can use Leaflet which is a very light web mapping component.

Both these can take GeoJSON files and add these as a layer to the map. Back in February, I wrote a #MapInfoMonday post on how to convert your MapInfo table to GeoJSON. Find the post here: MapInfo Monday: Exporting to GeoJSON.

Alternatively, Precisely's Spectrum Spatial could also be an option for you. But that is a bit too much for a very basic web map with a single layer.​

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 4.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Posted 04-09-2021 10:58
    Peter - That is true great suggestion. I was wondering, in regards to exporting to GeoJSON...

Is there a way to automate the generation of the GeoJSON format from a .TAB file?  Either through MapBasic or some other process within MapInfo Professional?

Marty - Hopefully we were of some help. :) 

Have a good weekend!

Nicholas Evanish

• 5.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Employee
    Posted 04-12-2021 03:22
    Sure, Nicholas, the Python script I refer to in my previous post on this thread comes with the needed Python sample code.

You can use this to automate the export to GeoJSON.

With the upcoming MapInfo Pro v2021, we are adding support for GeoJSON and a number of other formats. You will be able to open these formats directly into MapInfo Pro, import them into Native/NativeX tab files and save Native/NativeX files into these formats.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 6.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Posted 04-14-2021 13:23
    Peter, thanks so much!! I can't wait to dive into this and see what I might understand. :) 

Marty

Marty Oneill
    Leander TX

• 7.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Posted 04-14-2021 13:21
    Thank you Nicholas for your response.  I usually get an email when there is a response but didn't this time, hence the late reply from me! 
    When you say "load the GeoJSON as a new layer onto the map".... do you mean in MapInfo? 
    and
    Where do I "work on UI interactions"? In MapInfo? 

All of this is clearly beyond my skillset, but I can learn and piece it together maybe! :)

Thanks!
    Marty

Marty Oneill
    Leander TX

• 8.  RE: Embed Interactive map on website - with MapInfo Pro?

Posted 04-19-2021 09:26
    Marty,

The loading of the GeoJSON data comes within the Google Maps JavaScript API. Unfortunately, this is completely independent of MapInfo Professional.  A completely whole different API that is used that is free with Google Maps.

https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/overview

You can use the link to review documentation on creating a simple map. From there, you can continue to append features, UI interactions, etc. into that map.

I hope this helps.

Nicholas Evanish