Data360 Govern

View Only
  • 1.  Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Posted 12-02-2021 09:03

We have built lineage between Business and Technical assets (ie Database Columns mapped to Looks and then into Dashboards) the issue we have is that the Business Assets provide the asset type name ie Looks and Dashboards whereas the Technical assets do not. So in the example below I cant tell if the technical asset is a DB View, Stored Procedure or a Table that is providing data into my Business Assets. Is there a way of showing the Technical Asset Type in Lineage that Im missing? (See attached image)

Thanks!

Attached files

lineage1.png

• 2.  RE: Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Employee
    Posted 12-06-2021 07:35

Hi Patrick,

Based on your description, editing the asset type "Display Format" may be something to explore :

I mention the asset type's display format since your technical types seem to be pointing to the name, whereas the business types have hard coded strings "Looks" / "Dashboards" as the display format ( or possibly they are pointing to a field with those values populated ).

If this is not what you were looking for please clarify and I will be happy to test further.

Matthew Kennedy

• 3.  RE: Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Posted 12-06-2021 08:42

@Matthew the name token here is what is displayed on a page, what I am referring to is in lineage where technical assets do not show the asset type whereas the business assets do. I dont think I want to change the configuration shown as it would mess up my display formats elsewhere. What Im really asking for is that the lineage diagram treat both asset categories (business and technical) the same when it comes to displaying the asset type name

• 4.  RE: Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Employee
    Posted 12-08-2021 12:03

Hi Patrick,

After reviewing, this appears to be by design. Within the hierarchy there are multiple assets ( of varying types ) that are listed. Which are you specifically looking to have visible?

Matthew Kennedy

• 5.  RE: Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Posted 12-08-2021 12:26

Matthew 

The design is flawed how can I tell if an object in a hierarchy is a View/Table or Function if they all have the same name, take a look at the lineage jpg there is no way to tell if DIM_SECURITY is a table or a view in the diagram.

-p

• 6.  RE: Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Posted 12-08-2021 13:11

I agree Patrick, Asset Types are clearly labeled with Business Assets but Technical Assets are missing that critical element of context in diagrams

• 7.  RE: Lineage Asset Headers not showing Asset Type for Technical Assets

Employee
    Posted 12-09-2021 06:31

Patrick and Justin,

Thank you for the feedback. I have submitted an enhancement request to be reviewed by product management ( Reference : GOV-16564 )

Matthew Kennedy