Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

• 1.  Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 07-16-2018 05:09

For example, if a property is selected, the information is printed onto the following page.

Can I make a template that DOES NOT print information, even if the user has selected an object?

Because it would be easier to tell the users to use the print template without the information than it would be to remind them 800 times to deselect before printing.

It doesn't help that print previews DO NOT display the additional pages, so some users don't realise their map has 4 additional pages when they hit print, and are then sending it to the printer or emailing personal information out of the office.

Many thanks

• 2.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 07-16-2018 01:21

Print Templates need a lot of work. Yes we have this same issue as well and have to tell users to print the first page only from any resulting PDF out of SSA.

And @Rebecca Marks? if you can excuse me hijacking this thread, it seems like a good place to add another Template gripe.

The ability to for the user to deselect items out of the displayed legend would be handy as well. As an example we have in our water layers a layer which displays valve by type with varying symbology. Its rare to have more than 2-3 valve types in any standard property view 1:500/1000 scale, yet SSA displays in the legend every type that is present in the file. This is bad cartographic practice, it would be nice to have much more granular control with all aspects of map templates.

• 3.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 07-16-2018 01:29

Gripe away, feedback gets results

Adjustable legends would be handy, my director doesn't use the template that has a legend because they're too messy

• 4.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 08-03-2018 10:44

The print template definitions have two XML tags in them by default called "show-callout-info" and "show-fmn-results". They are added to every print template and set to true. You can edit the XML to set these to false to prevent map information or find nearest results showing on subsequent pages. The templates are normally located here

C:\Program Files\Pitney Bowes\SpectrumSpatialAnalyst\customerconfigurations\analyst\printtemplates

Unfortunately it is not possible to define this when designing the template in admin console. We will be revisiting the entire admin console in the 2019 releases to redevelop it and align it with Spectrum Spatial Manager, so will look at a new/better template designer and UI for this.

• 5.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 08-06-2018 02:21

Hello

So I tried editing the XML and it doesn't work. I'm not surprised though as I currently have print templates that shouldn't have legends but they still print legends.

Is it just the XML file I need to edit or have I missed a step?

Thank you

• 6.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 08-06-2018 07:55

Hi Rebecca - it seems there is a bug and the two settings for "show-callout-info" and "show-fmn-results" are not being honoured even if they are manually edited and set to false.

I have raised a bug for this and we can fix it in the next release. The fix is in the Typescript of SSA only so we can also provide a hot-fix in the meantime if you wish. Please let me know.

I was able to crate a template that did not include a map legend and it worked fine - the legend was not shown. If you continue to have issues with a legend showing when it shouldn't I suggest raising a tech support case and sending the XML print template.

• 7.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Employee
    Posted 03-11-2019 19:38
    Hi Mus,

Few days ago, we were contacted by one of our client who wish to print maps without call-out information.
    I also got to know that most of council wish to have an ability to turn off the call-out information as it contains sensitive information.

Could this bug be reviewed and the 2 setting be enabled in upcoming release?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ruchi Mishra
    Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
    Melbourne

• 8.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 03-11-2019 19:47
    Hello

I have been instructing all staff to turn off the left hand panel before printing, thus avoiding printing ridiculous numbers of pages of data (someone told me the other day their print would have been 84 pages!)

This appears to be the only option for avoiding printing this additional information at this point.

I'd also like to see the templates we create for the left hand panel honoured in the additional pages IF we do decide to include them. They use the friendly names and format the data in a useful way, instead of just field names and field content and fields that may be important elsewhere but not to the user.

For public maps I have had to use edited layers for the public accessible maps. Even if I used templates to display the information in the left hand pane, the whole dataset is displayed on printing or on query, so no sensitive information can be used and any layers containing sensitive data have to be replicated and edited for public use.

I hope providing some details of how we manage things will help for better understanding on PB's end when developing updates.

Rebecca Marks
    GIS & Environment Officer
    Greater Hume Council
    NSW Australia

• 9.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 03-11-2019 20:48
    Hi Everyone,

We are also facing the same problem. Users may see on the print preview page as a map, but when it downloads it brings all the information of layers that are selected at that point. This is causing some severe problems. It is hard to explain to every user to unselect before they print. 

I have tried changing the xml and fo files where show callouts and fmn as "false", commented out and also removed from the script. I restarted the services and there was no change. Could we please get this fixed asap. 

Thank you!

Caleb.

Caleb Kantepudi
    Asset and Spatial Information Officer (GIS) | Asset & Property Services
    Brimbank City Council
    Sunshine

• 10.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Employee
    Posted 03-11-2019 21:13
    Edited by Ruchi Mishra 03-11-2019 21:16
    Hi Rebecca and Caleb,

Thanks for your comments.
    We'll check with SSA team for the possibility of this bug fix.

Thanks,
    Ruchi

• 11.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Employee
    Posted 04-04-2019 18:11
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your patience.

The issue is now fixed in the supported Spectrum Spatial Analyst (SSA) versions.

Apply the below patches to resolve the issues:
    • SSA v12.2 - Spectrum™ Spatial Analyst 12.2 S05 Product update 
    • SSA v2018.2 - Spectrum™ Spatial Analyst 2018.2 S02 Product update 

With this fix, now, the administrators can manually update <<print_template.xml>> file to control the callout and FMN results from showing up in the printed PDF documents.
    Please refer to the Release Notes for the steps required for installing this patch.

Contact Pitney Bowes Technical Support for any further queries.

Ruchi Mishra
    Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
    Melbourne

• 12.  RE: Can we specify whether or not selected information is displayed on the print out?

Posted 03-12-2019 05:28

I may be misunderstanding this thread, but you can set up PDF print templates that do not include map legends. I have many such templates in use now.

Stuart Carter

Corporate GIS Manager

Southwark Council

2nd floor, zone B

160 Tooley Street

London, SE1 2QH

Tel: (0207 52) 55409

stuart.carter@southwark.gov.uk

Southwark Maps – public facing interactive maps