MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  layout accessibility

Posted 11-05-2021 10:36
    I'm currently trying to make some of our documents more accessible. While obviously maps are never going to be that accessible, I'd like to at least add some alt text to the jpgs or whatever I produce.
    I was presuming that each layout would have metadata like a name and description stored somewhere, and that this would get exported when i produced a jpg or whatever? If so, how do I find and edit it, if not would it not be a good idea for accessibility to be able to do this?

------------------------------
    Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 2.  RE: layout accessibility

Posted 11-05-2021 11:41

Martin,

If each layout is saved as a workspace you can grab the name and location of that workspace as smart text :

$mb{GetCurrentWorkspacePath$()}

Lots of other tips here from Peter : 

https://community.precisely.com/communities/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?GroupId=19&MID=1949&CommunityKey=fe4d1ee2-f1c6-4307-87d2-00bea1344885&tab=digestviewer&ReturnUrl=%2Fcommunities%2Fcommunity-home%2Fdigestviewer%3Ftab%3Ddigestviewer%26CommunityKey%3Dfe4d1ee2-f1c6-4307-87d2-00bea1344885

HTH

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    Manchester

• 3.  RE: layout accessibility

Posted 11-05-2021 11:59
    Thanks Nick, this is interesting and powerful but not sure it does what I'm looking for (probs cos I was too vague!)

So when i embed a jpg in a word doc, or pdf or whatever, I'm wanting that to pull through alt text, ie the stuff you sometimes see as hoverovers. By doing this, I think it'll work better with screen readers and provide better accessibility. I presume it would get the alt text from the jpg metadata (seems to be what screen readers do with other files). And for a jpg produced from a mapinfo layout, I guess that would have to come from the layout properties. I just can't see where those properties are or whether Mapinfo carries them over (as it sensibly should) when it creates images.

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council

• 4.  RE: layout accessibility

Posted 12-03-2021 05:30
    Hi Martin
    Have you tried all the PDF options and settings (Properties button). Perhaps that is more of what you are looking for?
    Plenty of options and then Layered PDFs or Add Attribute Data to the PDF.

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: layout accessibility

Posted 12-03-2021 07:56
    Thanks John. That is interesting, but I'd then need an extra step of combining a large number of pdf's into one doc, and I'm not clear even then whether it would produce alt text on each image! Shame the image route isn't there, but we'll have to work round it I guess.

Martin Burroughs
    Oldham Council