MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Pro - improving symbols

Posted 11-08-2021 05:46
    Hello community,

Icons in the symbol library look old-fashioned and the styling options are very limited compared to other GIS software. I know custom symbols can be created manually, but is there a library of additional symbols available for downloading somewhere? Are there any plans of improving the styling options in the future, not only for points, but also for lines and polygons?

Kind regards,

------------------------------
    Miquel Roy Sunyer
    Kirklees Council
    HUDDERSFIELD

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Pro - improving symbols

Posted 11-08-2021 05:54

Hello Miquel,

The support for TrueType font symbols gives you a lot of options. There are a large number of font collections out there, some free, some premium. For example, I've always liked Font Awesome (https://fontawesome.com/) which has free and paid-for versions. If you share data/workspaces with others, just make sure they have the required fonts installed.

Cartography for other geometry types is a different matter and I wish Pro could support custom fill patterns (bitmaps, SVGs, etc.). A better colour picker too. It really is well behind on things like this.

Regards,

Warren Vick

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Pro - improving symbols

Posted 12-10-2021 09:51

Hi Warren, thanks for your reply. I come from an ESRI background and I'm well used to a thorough set of functionalities when it comes to customising symbology. And I find that achieving the same results in MapInfo is usually much more difficult, if not impossible. One can certainly achieve some customisation with TTFs or SVGs, but this is generally too complicated. I feel there are missing basic functionalities like being able to change the colour or the size/transparency of a Halo, change border colours, creating composite symbols, adjusting if the centre of the point falls in the centre of the symbol or displaced with an offset, position and colour of shadows, and more. I could say similar things for lines and polygons. There is only one and very limited library of line styles and fill patterns.

Kind regards,

Miquel Roy Sunyer
    Kirklees Council
    HUDDERSFIELD

• 4.  RE: MapInfo Pro - improving symbols

Posted 12-13-2021 08:54
    Miquel
    Can you put this in the Ideas portal and we can all vote for it https://ideas.precisely.com/

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: MapInfo Pro - improving symbols

Posted 12-13-2021 10:15
    Hi John, thanks, I'll do it when I have some time.

Kind regards,

Miquel Roy Sunyer
    Kirklees Council
    HUDDERSFIELD

• 6.  RE: MapInfo Pro - improving symbols

Posted 12-13-2021 10:32
    I'd love to see some "favorites" located in the symbol picker too...