MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Geometry clean tool (s) for TAB file – polygons please | MapInfo Split Tool 'does not work' on overlapping Obj. / Features

Posted 11-02-2021 21:45

Hi All,

I have still been unable to resolve my issue, I face splitting polygons using MIP Pro, Spatial | Split Target, which I understand access the MapCAD tool

I have cleaned the file, and believe it doesn't have any errors; self-intersections and closed regions

The issue occurs when we try to split a MIP tab file (NativeX is our default) with many overlapping polygons / regions

The outcome is not what we expect and the split target function fails to work e.g. cannot splitting all the polygons / regions and assigns odd values [incorrect metadata] to some of the semi-split polygons

One example is a WA DMIRS reports file, with in excess of +100 report layers (as overlapping polygons / regions) in just one area of interest

Does anyone know if the split target function in MIP Pro, is limited to a particular number of overlapping polygons / regions?

I have had success splitting in ArcGIS Pro, but would prefer to remain inside the MIP Pro environment

Peter Horsbøll Møller & Bill Wemple, suggested I adjust; preferences for Performance and setting concurrency levels. I changed to None, which did appear to help in some occasions

Cheers, Mike

• 2.  RE: Geometry clean tool (s) for TAB file – polygons please | MapInfo Split Tool 'does not work' on overlapping Obj. / Features

Employee
    Posted 11-03-2021 05:48
    Hi Mike

I have a couple of times seen the Object Processing tools end up with some weird-looking results.
    Typically this is the Erase, Erase Outside and the Split operations that give these odd-looking results.

All the time, it turns out to be a data issue. I'm sure you have done the typical Check Region Process to try to locate issues.
    And I also think we did that without finding anything wrong with the data. At least not visually.

But when we started to look closer at the areas where the problems occurred, it turned out that some of the polygons had segments in multiple directions on top of each other. I have no idea how this data came about and how you actually can create such a mess.

The problem was only discovered as I tried to move nodes on some of the polygons and that showed another border for the same polygon below.
    It's been a while so I can't remember if the Check Region actually did place a self-intersection point or not.

One thing you can try, not sure if it will reveal any issue or not, is to convert your polygons to polylines and then back to polygons.
    Remember to create a copy of your data before doing this.

You can use a statement like this to perform this conversion:
    Update SomePolygonTable Set OBJ = ConvertToRegion(ConvertToPline(OBJ))

Let us know how it goes.

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Geometry clean tool (s) for TAB file – polygons please | MapInfo Split Tool 'does not work' on overlapping Obj. / Features

Posted 11-03-2021 07:05
    Thanks Peter,

Yes, data is from the WA GSWA, and I did clean, but will try again

Cheers

Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account