MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Posted 02-13-2019 18:18
    Hi Team,

Anyone running MIPro v17 or 17.0.2 in a Citrix Zenapp Environment greater than v7.5 on Windows 2016 Servers. I am trying to get my IT to move MIPro from the underspecked system they currently have it on to the main environment, but the first question they ask is "Is it supported in this environment because when i read the documentation..........".  So if anyone is running a similar environment would love to know about it, especially if you have any hints or tips I can pass on to our IT.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Jason Hemingway
    Coordinator Asset Mgt & GIS
    Cassowary Coast Regional Council
    Innisfail Australia

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Employee
    Posted 02-18-2019 03:24
    Just for the record, this is the System Requirements for MapInfo Pro 17.0.2:
    This product is tested on the following Microsoft Windows Desktop Operating Systems:
    • Windows 10 64-bit
    • Windows 8.1 64-bit
    • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    • Windows 2016 Server 64-bit
    • Windows 2012 Server R2 64-bit SP1
    • Windows 2012 Server R2 64-bit with XenApp 7.5
    • Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit SP1
    • Windows 2008 Server R2 64-bit SP1 with XenApp 6.0
    Which basically mean that we have tested MapInfo Pro on Windows 2016 Server but not in combination with XenApp 7.5.
    Maybe we can add that combination for the 17.0.3 release coming around April/May.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Employee
    Posted 02-19-2019 17:22
    Edited by Ticia McGean 02-20-2019 11:34
    We are setting up a Server 2016 for Citrix testing at this moment. I will make sure to obtain Zenapp 7.15 for testing. I will add it into our tech stack testing as well for 17.0.3.

Ticia McGean
    Mgr Prod Dev for MapInfo Pro
    Pitney Bowes
    ticia.mcgean@pb.com

• 4.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Posted 02-19-2019 02:54
    We have a partner running MapInfo Pro on a Citrix environment for one of their customers, not sure of the exact Citrix version. It works fine but their setup is done in a way where the software is installed on an available machine each time, and they have identified an issue with 17.0.2 on this setup - this version installs a larger amount of files under user settings (300 MB) which causes a 2 minute startup. So one recommendation is be to assign specific Citrix instances to run MapInfo, rahter than assigning a different instance each time.

Hakan Karlsson
    Presales, Pitney Bowes Sweden
    hakan.karlsson@pb.com

• 5.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Posted 02-20-2019 12:35
    Jason,

We have been supporting Citrix for many years and we typically don't see any issues with different versions of Citrix or/and Windows OS. We can't possibly test all possible combinations of XenApp and/or OS versions. 

But we for sure will provide you support in case you see any issues with your particular combination of XenApp and windows OS.

Regards,
    Andrei

Andrei Veselov
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 6.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Posted 03-19-2019 03:03
    Hello. 
    We have a client that is running Mapinfo 17.0.2 in a Citrix enviroment. 
    The issue for a large organisation is, as Håkan wrote earlier, that the Tools will be loaded to the local user profile each time a Mapinfo session is started. This was not the case with Mapinfo 16. 

Due to this we had to do a few changes manually.
    Every user that logs in need this value: 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700]

"Registered_64"=dword:5c641037

Since the client is running Routefinder this also needs to be present: 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700\Tools64\10606]

"Title"=" Routefinder"

"Location"="C:\\Program Files\\MapInfo\\RouteFinder 5\\RouteFinder5.mbx"

"ImageUri"="C:\\Program Files\\MapInfo\\RouteFinder 5\\Icons\\WeightSign.bmp"

"Description"=""

"Owner"=""

"Autoload"=dword:00000001

We copy a few folders/files manually from the original installation at each startup(set the copyprocess as "do not replace"): 

C:\Users\[currentuser]\AppData\Local\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700

LayoutTemplates
    UniversalDataCache
    MapinfoPro.DockingState.xml
    MapinfoPro.RibbonState.SV.xml
    nviews_RbnDockinfo.xml

and 

C:\Users\[currentuser]\AppData\Roaming\MapInfo\

Mapinfo
    Raster
    Routefinder5

We then register the tools that will be used, for instance for the distancecalc(toolsfolder has been moved to "Location"=): 

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MapInfo\MapInfo\Professional\1700\Tools64\10063]

"Title"="Avståndsberäknare"

"Location"="C:\Mapinfo Tools\1700\Tools\DistanceCalc\DistanceCalc.MBX"

"ImageUri"="pack://application:,,,/MapInfo.StyleResources;component/Images/Tools/toolDistanceCalculator_16x16.png"

"Description"="Det här verktyget beräknar avståndet mellan alla objekt i en eller två tabeller. Verktyget returnerar sedan det/de objekt som ligger närmast eller längst bort, och skickar resultaten till ett tabellfönster."

"Owner"="MI_TOOLS"

"Autoload"=dword:00000000

Dont know if this is the best solution but it works. Would gladly take further input. 
    I dont think moving the Tools to the local profile was a good thing for Citrix or Terminal server.

Kind regards, 

//Tobias  

Tobias Brännlund
    Sokigo AB
    Lycksele

• 7.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Posted 08-15-2019 06:22
    Hello,

I was wondering if there was a more robust solution for storing Tools in a Remote Desktop Services / Citrix environment?

They are currently installed to User's AppData\Local profile, but in RDS / Citrix this is typically deleted after logout.

Moving them to the AppData\Roaming profile is a partial solution, but will cause long login times as they are 350mb in size. This will also break the quota size on Roaming profiles in some workplaces.

So ideally the default Tools need to be in the Program directory, with only user downloaded tools placed in the Roaming profile, or perhaps better the user's Home folder on the network (provided the tools are happy to run over the network).

I can create a registry hack to relocate them if necessary but was wondering if there was a neater solution?

Thanks!

Tom Parker
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 8.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Employee
    Posted 08-16-2019 02:58
    Hi Tom

I think this is an idea worth following upon.
    I have seen other customers running into issues especially around having to copy all the tools every time MapInfo Pro starts because they are copied to a folder that isn't maintained.

When we changed the position of the tools the idea was to put them into a place where we could be certain the user would have write permission.

I see a number of questions in your statement:

1. How can we prevent MapInfo Pro from copying the tools on startup?
    2. Can I in someway specify a different location of the tools and have the AddUser installer use this when adding the tools to the registry?
    3. Can the user specify a separate location for the tools that will get downloaded from the MapInfo Marketplace, say the user's Home folder.
    4. Can the MapInfo Marketplace tool handle tools stored in a different location, potentially having tools in two separate locations?

I'm not sure we really need to answer all these questions, and maybe there are more :-)
    Maybe if we just could let you specify an alternative location for the tools where the user has write access that would be sufficient?

Any thoughts

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 9.  RE: Mapinfo 17 - Citrix Zenapp 7.15 & Windows server 2016

Posted 09-06-2019 06:05
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments and apologies for the delay in replying. 

I think the main issue is whether it is necessary for every user to have their own copy of the default tools. This is a recent change isn't it? I assume this is to allow them to be updated independently of MapInfo?

In which case there isn't really a simple solution that fits all use cases. Perhaps by default in a thin client install you leave the tools in the Program Directory and allow the location of downloaded Marketplace tools to be configurable (eg user's Documents). If a user tries to a update one of the default tools and they don't have write access to the Program Directory then it saves it to their nominated location and updates the path accordingly?

Not ideal but I think this would help with these type of installs.

Also is it possible to not copy all the superfluous localisation files - particularly those that go into the Roaming profile?

Many thanks!

Tom Parker
    Cam Bridgeshre County Council
    HUNTINGDON