MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MapInfo Pro 32-bit no longer being developed - Read if you are using v15 or earlier and have an idea.

Posted 08-18-2017 16:12

Version 15.0 is the last Pro release utilizing 32-bit. With GIS data and use cases growing as they have the power of 64-bit is needed to enable the future.

If you do have ideas for features and are using a 32-bit version of Pro, please list them here. We'll do our best to explain if we the need is met in our newer versions (64-bit), if we have another suggested approach, or if it's something we see as a roadmap item (again in a 64-bit version).

Even though we aren't actively adding new features to MapInfo Pro 15.0 (32 bit), we are still considering releasing patches for this version if we come across issues that affect a lot of users.

• 2.  RE: MapInfo Pro 32-bit no longer being developed - Read if you are using v15 or earlier and have an idea.

Posted 08-21-2017 03:02

I have Engage3D. This is probably the biggest factor behind my reluctance to switch to 64bit.

Other than that, we have one program that piggybacks on MI, and it already has a 64bit release. All we need to do is migrate the data over to a 64bit server and then it could be all good to go.

• 3.  RE: MapInfo Pro 32-bit no longer being developed - Read if you are using v15 or earlier and have an idea.

Employee
    Posted 08-21-2017 06:14

@Rebecca Marks?,

What tools in the Engage3D package are you using? If it's the Surface tools (the raster tools), you might want to have a closer look at MapInfo Pro Advanced and the new raster processing tools available here.

Glad to hear that the other program already has been ported to 64 bit. Even though many "older" MapBasic application will run on 64 bit, the user experience might be better with an application interface that is based on the new ribbon interface.

I doubt you need to do much to your data - it should be ready to use in 64 bit and in most cases it can also still be used in 32 bit.

If you didn't know, you can install the 64 bit version of MapInfo Pro on the same computer that currently is running a 32 bit version and you can continue using both versions.

• 4.  RE: MapInfo Pro 32-bit no longer being developed - Read if you are using v15 or earlier and have an idea.

Posted 08-21-2017 19:07

Hi Peter

Yes the surfaces package is the part I use the most. I also use Images, had a play with 3D but I don't have a practical use for it right now, and I have a use for Batch Printing but I haven't gotten to that project yet.

When I first installed it, it didn't have the same capabilities. And running both programs together seemed to cause issues (including backwards incompatibilities and not working with our asset management system because the 64bit release wasn't ready then). After I uninstalled it I still have a few left over ones that are work-around-able but frustrating (like every time I double click a tab file, instead of opening in an existing session it opens a new instance of MI. And when I save and close a workspace the program flashes several times and takes about half a minute to close)

I"ll have another go at the 64bit soon and see how I get on.

Are the 32bit community downloads compatible with 64bit? I have a couple of really useful ones.

• 5.  RE: MapInfo Pro 32-bit no longer being developed - Read if you are using v15 or earlier and have an idea.

Posted 08-21-2017 19:08

Oh and Exponare, but we're replacing that now

• 6.  RE: MapInfo Pro 32-bit no longer being developed - Read if you are using v15 or earlier and have an idea.

Posted 04-03-2019 12:15
    Hi Dave,
    The MapInfo 15.0.3 patch fixed an issue with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update.  For how long is 32-bit support expected to continue please?  For example, if a future update to Windows 10 was to break something important in the 32-bit MapInfo v15, then until what date can we rely on PB issuing patches under MATS?​​

------------------------------
    Peter Wightman
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    ------------------------------