MapInfo Pro

View Only

MapInfo Monday: Cursors for your Drawing Tools

• 1.  MapInfo Monday: Cursors for your Drawing Tools

Employee
    Posted 03-01-2021 04:30
    Happy #MapInfoMonday!

When you are editing your spatial data and are using the tools for drawing new features in your map, it sometimes can be hard to find the cursor when moving it around inside your map window. This can especially be a problem if you are using an aerial image as your background map.

Luckily, MapInfo makes it easy for you to switch between three different cursor sizes, and you can even show a full-screen cursor.

The 3 cursor sizes

In the image below, you can see the smallest cursor that MapInfo Pro can use. As you can see it can be had to locate the cursor on the map so I have drawn a purple ellipse around it.

You can hit the x key on your keyboard to switch between the three available cursor sizes. Below is the medium cursor.

And finally the large cursor.

And here are all three cursor sizes when zoomed in close.

These cursors are used with the drawing tools, the Ruler and the Info Tool and a couple of other tools that aren't using a specific cursor such as the Selector tool.

Full-screen Cursor

If you are familiar with AutoCAD, you probably also have seen the full-screen cursor used here. I started my career in geospatial working with a sewer registration system build on AutoCAD. So I have used that full-screen cursor a lot.

MapInfo Pro also supports this cursor type. You activate it with the x key on your keyboard. Click the x key again to turn it off again. Note that the full-screen cursor is combined with your chosen cursor size. In the image below I'm using the medium cursor combined with the full-screen cursor.

Have a great week and come back Monday next week for another #MapInfoMonday tip.​

------------------------------
    Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data
    ------------------------------