MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Excel to .Tab Files

Posted 08-22-2020 12:21
    Edited by Richard Sherman 08-22-2020 12:22
    Hi all,

I'm using Mapinfo Pro 17.04. 64bit

I have been trying to upload an excel spreadsheet to be used as a .tab file in Mapinfo Pro however after Opening table then choosing the co-ordinates which all ran OK - the actual browser displayed the data as one continuous column, rather than as separate columns which I had in my original Excel spreadsheet. Therefore what options do you need to choose in order for all the columns to be translated into separate column attributes in the .tab file?

Thanks

Richard

------------------------------
    Richard Sherman
    United Kingdom

• 2.  RE: Excel to .Tab Files

Posted 08-23-2020 20:33
    Hi Richard,

It could be a number of things, here are a few suggestions to try.

Merged cells may also be causing issues, its best to set out your excel in very simple table structure with minimal formatting.

Does the first row on your excel spreadsheet contain the column headers? By default the first row is used to create your columns and it may be getting confused if you have a blank like at the top? take note of the range that is selected when importing the spreadsheet.

It could also have something to do with the version of excel file you are using, maybe try saving as an .xlsx or even a CSV and import this.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 3.  RE: Excel to .Tab Files

Posted 08-24-2020 09:25
    Hi Richard
    MapInfo reads the excel file directly - nothing uploaded, as such.
    Just be careful to select the spreadsheet range where the data is laid out e.g. A4:M32
    Duri has given some other pointers to look out for too.

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 4.  RE: Excel to .Tab Files

Posted 08-24-2020 18:53
    Hi, thanks for the replies. I have converted it to a csv file already and the first row are the column headers so I can't understand why but I will try and see if there are any further options to pick to hopefully import it.

Richard Sherman
    United Kingdom

• 5.  RE: Excel to .Tab Files

Posted 08-24-2020 23:06
    If its is already CSV then my guess is that the file is not using a comma as its delimiter, open the CSV in notepad and check to see what character is used to delimit your columns it might be a space or a tab or even something like pipe.

When you import the CSV into MapInfo you will need to specify this delimiter on the first screen.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS