MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  creating an installer

Posted 02-26-2021 11:02
    In the past, I have used a product by Nullsoft called NSIS for single installer creation so that we could distribute MI around the organisation more easily. However, I think I have run into a size issue with NSIS that limits size to 2GB. The data1.cab is that size alone and the build fails. Has anyone used another piece of software as a distribution mechanism for version 19, if so, what was used?

It has already been suggested that I try Inno Setup but that is proving difficult for me.  I am trying to create a silent installer for the MI19 installer if you understand where I am going with this.

------------------------------
    Sean Stephen
    Belfast City Council
    Belfast

• 2.  RE: creating an installer

Posted 03-01-2021 10:29
    We are using Innosetup for multiple products and it can also accept a SILENT and VERYSILENT parameter, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

Uffe Kousgaard
    ROUTEWARE
    Roskilde

• 3.  RE: creating an installer

Posted 03-01-2021 10:41
    Hi Uffe.  I'm following scripts written by my predecessor to silently install MI 19.  However, I think that it is failing a 2GB barrier, because the data1.cab is bigger than that on its own.

Sean Stephen
    Belfast City Council
    Belfast

• 4.  RE: creating an installer

Posted 03-01-2021 10:52
    Edited by Uffe Kousgaard 03-01-2021 10:56
    Ah, I didn't read your question carefully enough. I would say it is a bad idea to try to mimic the Precisely Installer, since you are almost certainly going to miss some important details.

Better try to convince Precisely to use an installer, which supports a SILENT mode.

PS: I have 2 CAB files, one slightly smaller than 2 GB and the other with the rest of the files.

Uffe Kousgaard
    ROUTEWARE
    Roskilde

• 5.  RE: creating an installer

Posted 03-01-2021 10:58
    I THINK that it does, but I'll check again.  I'll plug away at it for a while longer, I guess I'm missing something.

Sean Stephen
    Belfast City Council
    Belfast

• 6.  RE: creating an installer

Employee
    Posted 03-01-2021 16:43
    The MapInfo Pro installer does support silent installation.

It's described in the Install Guide from page 58

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 7.  RE: creating an installer

Posted 03-02-2021 02:41
    Many thanks Peter. 

I had found that portion but still am having issues with Inno Setup Studio, which is a separate product altogether.  It may also be down to my privileges; or lack of.

Sean Stephen
    Belfast City Council
    Belfast