MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Mapinfo17 - dealy in opening workspaces

Posted 08-14-2020 05:01

We have some performance issues with opening workspaces in Mapinfo 17. When opening a workspace the window goes 'Not Responding' stating Untitled.wor for about 7 minutes, it then changes and states the .wor I am trying to open, from there it opens the workspace in the sort of time you would expect it to take from the start, about 25-30 seconds. These times are fairly standard on any workspace in 17 regardless of the number of layers being loaded and whether created in 17 or an earlier 32 bit version.

In Mapinfo 15 the same workspace opens in 25-30 seconds.

Does anyone know what it is doing with the untitled.wor for the 7 minutes it goes not responding and if there are any settings to stop this happening. I am keen to promote the 64 bit version to users but this delay in opening data will not fill them with confidence, however the workspace responds well once it is loaded. I have checked on line and removed any network printer references in the workspaces but no change

This is opening data on the network, so expect some lagging, but I just do not know why there is such a contrast between 15 & 17.

------------------------------
    Alan Leach
    Suffolk County Council

• 2.  RE: Mapinfo17 - dealy in opening workspaces

Posted 08-16-2020 05:57
    Alan,

Hi, not 100% sure what might be the issue but have you many raster layers (seamless or otherwise) referenced in the .wor file?  You may find V17 is building the .ghx and .pprc files as you open it.  if you or the users don't have write permissions to the appropriate folder it may have to do this every time.

Others on here will probably understand/explain this better than me.  

HTH
    Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 3.  RE: Mapinfo17 - dealy in opening workspaces

Posted 08-17-2020 08:44
    Thanks for the detail Nick, I have looked at the permissions and made some changes and certainly I have seen an improvement. Still taking longer to open in 17 than the old 32 bit 15 but far more workable to present to prospective new users. I will keep this in mind of any future workspaces cause similar issues but obviously we will be limited with permission changes on data that we require to be read-only for users. Thanks very much for the reply and detail. Alan

Alan Leach
    Suffolk County Council

• 4.  RE: Mapinfo17 - dealy in opening workspaces

Employee
    Posted 08-17-2020 08:50
    Another thing that could introduce delays in opening workspaces, is printers used in the workspace. Especially printers that no longer exist.

You can try to change the Startup Preferences to not load Printer Settings from workspaces to see if that makes a difference too.

When I run into these slow workspaces, I add some Print statements to the Workspace to get an understanding of where the time is spent. Typically I add a Print at the very beginning of the workspace after the three header lines, another after the Open Table statements, another after any potential Select statements and then finally one at the very end of the workspace.

The lines look like this:
    Print Time(24) + " Opening tables..."

This will print a time to the Message window and lets you understand where MapInfo Pro is spending/wasting time.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data

• 5.  RE: Mapinfo17 - dealy in opening workspaces

Posted 08-17-2020 11:30
    Hi Alan
    If you copy your raster files to a local folder (with permissions) and then open and View Entire Layer,
    MapInfo will create all of the pprc and ghx files for each file.
    You can then copy the pprc and ghx files back to the network folder.
    Do this for each raster product. 50K won't take long, then 25K - but VML will take a while.
    Aerial photography too??

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: Mapinfo17 - dealy in opening workspaces

Posted 08-22-2020 12:16
    Edited by Richard Sherman 08-22-2020 16:26
    Hi - yes that is right as John Levers has said above - to save the Raster Files to your home  C drive for example.- I had a similar problem but managed a get around by saving the Raster files to my local C drive rather than on the overall shared services network which has seemed to speed things up a bit!

Richard Sherman
    A District Council
    United Kingdom