Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-21-2020 01:02
    Hi everyone.

I'm coming across an annoying issue in Spatial Manager, hope someone can help.
    I've uploaded a table to the server, created a couple of view tables from that source. Then went and created the Layers from those views. 
    Finally I've added the layers to a map. Everything loads fine into the front end Map view.

For some reason when I go back  to Spatial Manager, some of those layers are not reading  the datasource (image below)

Has anyone come across this?
    I'm not sure if it has to do with the source table being updated (though the structure and name of it remain intact) or is simply a bug. I have a feeling it's a super simple fix, but I can't get around it for the life of me.

I couldn't find anything about this on the posts, but if someone already raised the issue, please point me to the right place :)

Many thanks!

------------------------------
    Maria Sousa
    Network GIS Analyst
    WOOLWORTHS GROUP LTD
    Bella Vista

• 2.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-21-2020 01:33
    Hi Maria,

Thank you for reaching out to the community for seeking suggestions on your query!

I have seen a similar issue in the past and want to know more before giving you a workaround to resolve this problem.

When the tables got uploaded for the first time, were they showing the 'Reference table correctly? Can you think about any transactions that happened after which you notice the 'viewdatasource' value popping up?

Nalin Mathur
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida

• 3.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-21-2020 01:42
    Hi Nalin.

I didn't noticed if the reference table was ok in the first instance. 
    Only noticed when I went back to spatial manager to change the style of the layers. Some were fine, but others were showing that issue.

Maria Sousa
    Network GIS Analyst
    WOOLWORTHS GROUP LTD
    Bella Vista

• 4.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-22-2020 00:02
    Hi Maria,

Can you see if following these steps make any difference:

1. We were seeing the ''viewdatasource" as reference table for one of our view tables as shown here: 

The Issue

2. Access this view-table .xml file in the repository via any WebDAV client (We have used WinSCP here) as shown here: 
      WebDAV
    3. Search for 'viewdatasource' and change it some other value(say viewdatasource1) as shown here: 
      change the xml
    4. Save the changes and restart the Spatial Module from Spatial Manager > Settings > Restart

We will be curious to know about your findings.

Nalin Mathur
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida

• 5.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-22-2020 00:55
    Hi Nalin.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to view that xml file, as I don't have admin privileges on the Azure server where the application is installed.
    Might have to check with my IT department...
    I'll keep you posted.

Many thanks
    Maria

Maria Sousa
    Network GIS Analyst
    WOOLWORTHS GROUP LTD
    Bella Vista

• 6.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-22-2020 17:32
    Hi Maria,

You should be able to connect with a WebDAV client like WinSCP

1. Create a new Site and select WebDAV as the protocol and your spectrum server address and port
    2. Go to Advanced and set the remote directory to /RepositoryService/repository/default
    3. You should then be able to connect and see your Spectrum Spatial repository where you can edit any of the xml files

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 7.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-22-2020 17:57
    Maria,
    A couple of questions. First of all what version are you using ?
    Also if I read your post correctly, all the view tables are actually working​ and I think the layer in question is working too. The question is why the spatial manager does not show the Reference Table but instead shows  "viewdatasource". Is that correct?
    A few things to check:
    If you use Spatial Manager and go to the actual View Table resource, does it display ok ?  That is, is the Named Table OK, display in Spatial Manager, show sample rows?
    If all that is ok, again depending on the version you might be able to modify the layer.  It is where you point to the named table.  Does that seem alright?
    If all that is ok, you can do the WebDAV check but you don't need any special tools. On the Spectrum home page, when you select Spectrum Spatial, there is a hyperlink on the lower right of the page that says "Content". Clicking that brings up a browser page which is the XML tree as WebDAV sees it.  It's built in and you don't need any special tools to see what the content of the layer in question is and see if anything is odd.
    If you get this far, you might want to share that here. It is read only so if you want to change anything, you can't use that method.

Also while WinSCP is a fine tool for a number of things, on many systems you can just use Windows WebDAV support from your client machine and connect the WebDAV Windows Mapped drive feature to connect directly. On some Windows server systems the WebDAV publishing is not installed by default. But you can install it or you can just connect from your client machine.  But that is another topic. 
    For Maria's purpose, she may just need to see what is in the named layer. Then perhaps we can figure out how it got that way and what to do to fix it.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 8.  RE: Spatial Manager Layers not reading datasource

Posted 01-22-2020 22:59
    Edited by Maria Sousa 01-28-2020 18:31
    Updating this answer

I was able to open the link, by RDP into the server.

We had the issue happening again. When I go and check both the Table View and respective Layer XMLs they all point to the right resource, but on the Table View the tag <DataSourceName> shows as:
    <DataSourceName>viewdatasource</DataSourceName>

It's easy to fix on Spatial Manager, but we want to avoid having to do this all the time.
    I can't quite understand why it keeps bouncing off the DatasourceName.
    Does the folder structure make a difference? we did create a custom folder structure (picture) to house our datasources

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Eric.

We're using version 2018.2.0
    I think there's something wrong with the way Spectrum was installed, as the hyperlink you mentioned doesn't work.

Going to have a chat with IT here to see what's wrong.

But all seems to be ok now, but very thankful to you all for the tips. I'm going to keep them for future reference!

Many thanks,
    Maria

Maria Sousa
    Network GIS Analyst
    WOOLWORTHS GROUP LTD
    Bella Vista