MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Layout Frame

• 1.  Layout Frame

Posted 04-18-2020 11:44
    ​Hi All,

I am using MapInfo Pro 17.4.

I am trying to create new layouts however when I insert numerous Frames onto the Layout Window when I print via PDF at A4 size - the Frame border disappears especially when zooming in / out - I can't understand how to fix this because on the Layout window the frames are all located within the border?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Richard

------------------------------
    Richard S

• 2.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 04-20-2020 04:25
    Hi Richard

Make sure your frames are within the margins. They shouldn't be right on the border.
    The style of the frames is drawn outside of the frame which means there must be some space between the frame and the margin

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data

• 3.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 04-20-2020 14:07
    Edited by Richard Sherman 04-20-2020 16:43
    Hi Peter - thanks for your reply.

I see OK I have tried that but still won't let it become visible when set at certain zoom levels - I will have another go tomorrow and see if I can get it to work ! :)

Richard

• 4.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 04-20-2020 18:42
    I experience the same issue, though given the challenges with producing PDFs over the last 10 years, I thought this was simply another issue that can't be resolved. Where it's imperative for the frame to appear at a full page zoom, I have chosen to increase the thickness of the frame borders. Of course, this is not the ideal solution, given it makes the frames more prominent than necessary when zooming into the image.

Jason Kroeger
    Spatial Products Lead
    Department of Social Services
    Canberra BC ACT

• 5.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 04-24-2020 09:11
    ​Yes that's right - I can't understand it though because on the layout window I do match up the frame borders so it aligns correctly with the overall Frame layout so on the layout page it looks OK then as soon as you do Print as PDF then the frame disappears at different zoom levels which is no good..!

Richard

• 6.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 05-12-2020 03:28
    Does it make a difference if you set the line width in points instead of pixels?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

• 7.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 05-13-2020 08:07
    Edited by Richard Sherman 05-13-2020 08:17
    Hi Peter,

That is a good idea - thanks. I have tried it which works for some of the smaller insets but not for the overall site one. I will have another look over.
    .​
    Richard

• 8.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 05-13-2020 08:16

Hi Richard

In the layout, select you frame and right-click on it. Now select Frame Properties.

In the Frame Properties dialog, click on the Style button.

In the Region Style dialog change the Border Width option to Points and set the line width.

Finally, save the layout to a PDF again.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

• 9.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 05-13-2020 08:44
    Hi Peter,

Many thanks for your reply - it has worked for the first inset frame (bottom left of this image attached) but for the others it still not working so if there was any other way you can think of to try to resolve it? I have been making sure the frames line up with the layout also but just can't seem to make this part work.

RichardSherman

• 10.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 05-13-2020 08:58
      |   view attached

Hi

I tried creating a few inset maps and set the style to use a 2 point wide border line. That seems to work fine when I open it in Adobe Acrobat and zoom in and out. Even setting the zoom to values like 23%. The lines all look fine.

I made sure all the frames were using this line width.

I also tried creating the PDF in 600dpi as well as 150dpi. That didn't seem to matter much.

Have a look at the attached PDF and let me know if it also looks fine for you.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Layout.pdf   167 KB 1 version

• 11.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 05-13-2020 10:10
    ​Hi,

That's really good your one! That's what I'm aiming to get. Ok btw with the main frame - how do you get that one to come out like yours? did you create an additional frame just inside the original Layout map window?

RichardSherman

• 12.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 05-14-2020 05:33
    Hi Richard

Make sure you don't snap the main frame to the margin. The border of the frame is drawn outside the frame so you will need to leave some space between the frame and the margin for the border to be drawn.

You can snap it to the frame but then via the Frame Properties dialog, change the values by for example subtracting a few mm from the X and the Y and more from the Width and the Height.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

• 13.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 05-15-2020 07:11
    ​Hi Peter , thanks for the message - I have changed the pixels into points on the layout window but it still won't keep the frame lines - it only keeps all the inset frame lines when I zoom in to 29% zoom as it is on A1 page size which is no good unfortunately.

RichardSherman

• 14.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 05-15-2020 08:09
    Can you share your PDF?

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

• 15.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 05-19-2020 09:15
    Edited by Andrei Veselov 05-19-2020 09:15
      |   view attached

RichardSherman

Attachment(s)

• 16.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 05-19-2020 11:20
    It looks like the line of the main frame and the frame for the legends doesn't have the same line width as the inset maps.
    Is that correct?

Can you maybe share your workspace file? Just the file. I don't need the tables.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer

• 17.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 08-18-2020 12:24
    ​Hi - thanks for offering to help, Peter. Sorry for late reply but it wouldn't let me sign in for some reason to edit this post! Would it be possible for me to send you the Workspace still? As I am still having some trouble with it unfortunately!

Richard Sherman
    United Kingdom

• 18.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 08-19-2020 02:30
    Sure, just zip it and attach it to a post here, or send it to peter.moller@precisely.com.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 19.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 08-22-2020 07:28
    Hi Peter - many thanks - I did actually log a support call and they suggested I package my workspace. However I am having trouble with the Packaging tool - it is saying I can't do it since one or more of the tables have the same name but I can't seem to resolve it as none of the tables actually have the same name. So I am unsure how to zip the workspace atm!

Richard Sherman
    United Kingdom

• 20.  RE: Layout Frame

Employee
    Posted 10-01-2020 03:07
    Sorry Richard,
    I left this conversation hanging. Did you manage to package your workspace?

I don't need all your tables. If I just could get your workspace, I can have a look if the frames have the same width

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 21.  RE: Layout Frame

Posted 10-19-2020 09:55
    ​Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to package my workspace. However, I raised a call with Pitney Bowes Technical support and they kindly looked at the issue I was having. However, it seems to be an issue with viewing the PDF, as within MapInfo, the layout borders are fine but when zooming out at certain levels then the frame borders have disappeared, but luckily I now am able to amend the frames so each one has the same height and width which does seem to help. Is that what you were thinking of doing?

Richard

Richard Sherman
    United Kingdom