UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  OneDrive and Workspaces

Posted 09-10-2021 11:22
    Can workspace files reference Microsoft OneDrive/SharePoint (Office 365) site collection document libraries via their url's?
    My organisation is about to move from network drives to personal OneDrive and all my workspaces reference drive letters.
    I know OneDrive's can be mapped to a network drive letter but I don't think that will be possible for our implementation.

------------------------------
    Martin Dowler
    CHESHIRE & WIRRAL PARTNERSHIP NHS TRUST

• 2.  RE: OneDrive and Workspaces

Posted 09-13-2021 04:13
    Hi Martin

Peter Horsbøll Møller supplied this answer:
    MapInfo Pro does not as far as I know support accessing data stored on Sharepoint.
    I would, however, say that it can access data from Onedrive but that would require that the data gets synced to your local computer. Also if multiple users are accessing and editing this file, there could be some issues getting the file synced between the individual users to avoid multiple users editing the same file at the same time.
    Does that help?

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 3.  RE: OneDrive and Workspaces

Employee
    Posted 09-14-2021 08:23
    Hi

Might be good to get a better understanding of what you would expect from better OneDrive/Dropbox support?

Would you expect to be able to also edit your tables stored here through MapInfo Pro? Would the data be edited by multiple users?
    I think we already noted down the requirements to better support the path to the OneDrive folder as that often consists of the user name too.

Anything else we need to be aware of?

Thanks

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 4.  RE: OneDrive and Workspaces

Posted 02-02-2022 15:04

Peter/John

Apologies for the ridiculous delay in replying. I have been wearing a different hat on a project to implement SharePoint Online - and dealing with a baby!

Peter

I have project files on my personal network drive eg Z:\GIS_data\2021\project_name\myfile.wor
    My organisation is (probably) going to implement OneDrive to replace these personal network drives so I will have a OneDrive link to my personal folder which is something like http:\\sharepoint.nhs.uk\RXA\mdowler\folder

John - the files will not sync to the desktop, they will definitely stay on the Microsoft servers.

Can I reference these files within OneDrive in my workspace, open them and work with them?
    Its only me accessing/editing them.
    As an organisation shared departmental network drives will probably remain so if not I would need to flag with the migration team my requirements.

Thanks
    Martin

Martin Dowler

• 5.  RE: OneDrive and Workspaces

Posted 02-07-2022 08:52
    Martin,

Internally we've been using files located on SharePoint using OneDrive shortcuts. 

If you go to your company SharePoint site, you can select a folder that you want to see on your OneDrive and create a shortcut to it.

Once you have that shortcut created, you would be able to navigate it just like other files in your OneDrive folder.

Regards,
    Andrei

Andrei Veselov
    Precisely
    Troy NY

• 6.  RE: OneDrive and Workspaces

Posted 03-28-2022 11:27
    Thanks, that's helpful. I have to get a lot of content off my personal network drive as we implement 365. I can create my own SharePoint site anyway.

Martin Dowler