MapInfo Pro Developers User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Formats with Z and M value read/write support for individual nodes in polylines?

Posted 08-30-2018 10:15

Hello! I understand that MapBasic supports e.g. ObjectNodeZ/M to read this per-node data along a polyline, and you can check for data source support with ObjectNodeHasM/Z. I have a few questions though:

1. Which formats or databases that MapInfo Pro supports also supports this data, including with write support? Are these formats the same as those supported by MapXtreme (FeatureGeometry), a product that we are not actively using today but remains interesting.
    2. Can these formats be used as full replacements to e.g. the MapInfo Native (TAB) format? For example, for object styling, supported object types, and column data types.
    3. How can these Z or M node values be manipulated from MapBasic and/or MapInfo Pro?

Height values are an integral part of our mapping application to do basic things like properly calculating line lengths of e.g. electrical or district heating networks, but also for our clients to document the pipe depths which is essential to know during repairs or other maintenance in the same area.

We are not looking for 3D representations or such features, only per-node data storage and retrieval with preserved data and styling support that we have come to know from e.g. MapInfo TAB files or against PostgreSQL or SQL Server databases.

• 2.  RE: Formats with Z and M value read/write support for individual nodes in polylines?

Employee
    Posted 09-05-2018 10:22

TAB format does not currently support storing of Z\M values in its *.map file. What exists is support for reading these values (if the format supports it) from formats opened directly using MIPro such as ESRI *.SHP format.

• 3.  RE: Formats with Z and M value read/write support for individual nodes in polylines?

Posted 09-05-2018 10:30

OK, so read only support and that from SHP files. I hope that TAB and/or server databases (as in supported by MAPINFO_MAPCATALOG) will get the opportunity to store elevation data in the future. Unfortunately separate point layers or other methods to get here are suboptimal as you get two different sources of data that you always need to collate, and that can even fall out of sync if you don't always use custom designed tools to work with the data.

• 4.  RE: Formats with Z and M value read/write support for individual nodes in polylines?

Employee
    Posted 09-10-2018 03:02

There is a request here on our Ideas Portal for improving our capabilities when it comes to handling Z values on nodes: https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/MIPRO-I-506

Maybe have a look, vote and potentially add some more details to the request, @Jonas Nordlund?.

• 5.  RE: Formats with Z and M value read/write support for individual nodes in polylines?

Posted 09-11-2018 03:33

Thanks for the reply.

Upon trying to login there, I get

System Error

Sorry, an unexpected error condition has occurred. Please contact your system administrator for assistance and provide the following reference number to help locate additional information about this problem in the system log files. 

Error Reference: ewtuso 

• 6.  RE: Formats with Z and M value read/write support for individual nodes in polylines?

Employee
    Posted 09-11-2018 08:05

Sorry @Jonas Nordlund?, my mistake. I shared the internal link to the Ideas Portal. I have changed the link to the external one instead (https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/MIPRO-I-506)