Spectrum Technology Platform

View Only
  • 1.  Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 03-31-2020 17:26
    Has anyone seen this issue where Enterprise Designer (ED) starts behaving very strangely. The Login splash screen comes up, but then the application opens minimized in the taskbar with no Graphic User Interface for which to work (screen print below). It was working fine. No changes which I can detect e.g. no Windows Updates occurred during the period surrounding working to not working time frame. 

I posted this here because 1) ED authenticates to Spectrum Technology (TM) Platform, 2) a dataflow within ED used to batch geocode addresses is connecting to the GeocodeUSAddress service in Spectrum and 3) I don't know of a ED discussion board. 

I've tried:
    - deleting the g1Assemblies
    - re-running Setup.exe
    - online searches for fix

Beta Server running Platform v2018.2 (primary server being used)
    Test Server running Platform v12.1, but was recently upgraded to v12.2.1 (not really using this server, but have tested the connection of ED to v12.1 successfully. testing the connection of ED after the upgrade to v12.2.1 did not work - not sure if this would/could have corrupted ED).

------------------------------
    Worth Williams
    SOUTHERN FARM BUREAU
    Jackson MS

• 2.  RE: Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 04-01-2020 09:13
    Edited by Shawn Sharifi 04-01-2020 14:37
    Try deleting C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Pitney Bowes folder after backing up the content somewhere else. These are client application log files that may be useful diagnosing the issue.You can also delete C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Pitney_Bowes.

Shawn Sharifi
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 04-01-2020 22:26
    Hi Shawn,

That's the fix. Thank you so much for responding with this new idea so quickly.

After making a backups, I deleted both folders (below). After restarting ED, I had to reenter the connection parameters, of course, and it launched normally. 

C:\Users\uhwbw2\AppData\Local\Temp\g1Assemblies
         C:\Users\uhwbw2\AppData\Roaming\Pitney Bowes

Also, I noticed the ED Client Tool for each Platform server version (12.1 vs 2018.2) appears to use the same Setup.exe file version 18.2.0.0 and size 79.4 MB (83,343,064 bytes) (per comparing properties).

By the way, these were the errors I found in those logs whether relevant or not: 
    Bootstrap.log.txt.8
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:48:41,530 [Bootstrap.BootstrapClient] Started
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:48:41,537 [Bootstrap.BootstrapClient] Bootstrap client starting
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:50:03,617 [Bootstrap.BootstrapPostAuthenticationProcessor] Beginning mutex-ed code block
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:50:05,303 [Loaders.WebClient] Could not download the resource client-12.2.1-ED-en.zip. It may not exist on the server. The default resources will be used.
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:50:14,088 [Loaders.WebClient] Could not download the resource client-12.2.1-Common-en.zip. It may not exist on the server. The default resources will be used.
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:50:14,091 [Bootstrap.DefaultApplicationLauncher] bootstrap processing with version 12.2.1
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:50:15,066 [Bootstrap.BootstrapPostAuthenticationProcessor] End mutex-ed code block
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:51:06,037 [Forms.ConnectionPanel] Exit message received via WndProc: msg=0x400 (WM_USER) hwnd=0x90896 wparam=0x0 lparam=0x0 result=0x0

Bootstrap.log.txt.10
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:35:37,036 [Bootstrap.BootstrapClient] Started
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:35:37,044 [Bootstrap.BootstrapClient] Bootstrap client starting
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:35:54,238 [Bootstrap.BootstrapPostAuthenticationProcessor] Beginning mutex-ed code block
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:35:55,709 [Loaders.WebClient] Could not download the resource client-18.2-ED-en.zip. It may not exist on the server. The default resources will be used.
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:36:05,382 [Loaders.WebClient] Could not download the resource client-18.2-Common-en.zip. It may not exist on the server. The default resources will be used.
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:36:05,382 [Bootstrap.DefaultApplicationLauncher] bootstrap processing with version 18.2
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:36:05,523 [Bootstrap.BootstrapPostAuthenticationProcessor] End mutex-ed code block
    INFO 2020-03-25 13:36:56,739 [Forms.ConnectionPanel] Exit message received via WndProc: msg=0x400 (WM_USER) hwnd=0x608bc wparam=0x0 lparam=0x0 result=0x0

Worth Williams
    SOUTHERN FARM BUREAU
    Jackson MS

• 4.  RE: Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 04-02-2020 15:06
    ​Worth,
    I am going to guess that the reason deleting those files fixed your issue is that you may have run the Designer when you had a different monitor setup than when the problem happened. I have seen this before when working in the office with multiple monitors (3 to be honest) and then at home on just my laptop screen. Changing resolutions can also do this.
    In those files is stored the last used placement, size and other pieces of "last state" information. 
    In these cases, I have seen where ED is set to be in a place that does not exist.

Sometimes you can fix this for any application by hovering overt the app on the taskbar until the thumbnail comes up and then moving the mouse over that image, and clicking the right mouse. This brings up the popup system menu which has a Move option.  You can use the arrow left/right keys to move it back on screen.  If the window is maximized on the "invisible" screen you may have to select "Restore" as Move will be disabled until you do.
    When you exit the useable place you left it will now be stored.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 5.  RE: Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 04-03-2020 09:55
    I just realized I did not address your other point about the warnings in the log file. ​ I am pretty sure that messages like:
    Could not download the resource client-12.2.1-ED-en.zip. It may not exist on the server. The default resources will be used.
    are benign. The code is taking your language setup (in this case "en") and looking for language specific resources. Since the default UI elements are in English, there is no "en" file to be found and thus the warning. If you were in another supported language those files would be found and these messages would not exist. 
    Also as you can see the "bootstrap" downloads the files based on the Spectrum version at the server end. This is how, for the most part, one ED can be used against multiple servers of different versions.

Eric Blasenheim
    Spectrum Spatial Technical Product Manager
    Troy, NY

• 6.  RE: Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 04-03-2020 15:01
    Eric, 

Again a very excellent description and this being a benign error sounds like the case. Thanks.

Worth Williams
    SOUTHERN FARM BUREAU
    Jackson MS

• 7.  RE: Enterprise Designer Opens Minimized in Taskbar with No GUI

Posted 04-03-2020 14:58
    Edited by Worth Williams 04-03-2020 15:06

Eric,

This is an excellent and eloquent description of what occurred, the possible reasons why and a great alternative solution. Thank you. I now recall seeing similar behavior with a 3M HDM software application where the window was completely hidden – off to the right side of the screen.

I will add another event that could have possibly caused this for me. I have a Dell Laptop Latitude E7250 and docking station with two Dell 24" monitors attached externally. I suppose, it was possible on an occasion when the laptop screen was opened, while still docked, Enterprise Designer's display switched to the laptop screen (the display settings are such that when this happens the externally attached monitors go blank/black and all open applications switch to the laptop's screen – it's a bugger).

Now one other thing comes to mind which I will add. I recall a Windows 10 Feature Update was applied around or before this time – even though I did not see the history of it in Windows Updates History. This Update caused my right external monitor to remain blank/black any time the screen was locked (whether automatically or manually using WindowsKey+L). Because of this issue, Desktop Support ran a repair on the Display Driver. This could be related.

I edited this to say that the fix you proposed could and would be the most simple; however, I cannot test and prove it since the solution by Shawn Sharifi has already resolved the issue.

Anyway, thank you again for your help.

Worth Williams
    SOUTHERN FARM BUREAU
    Jackson MS