MapInfo Pro Developers User Group

View Only
  • 1.  Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Posted 12-23-2018 07:25
    Hi,

I'm maintaining a very old application from one of my customers that's written in MS-Access VBA and contains a form to display a map. This Map is nowadays implemented to use either MapX (...still alive and working!) or MiPro 32-Bit, - the application itself detects what's available and uses one or the other.
    Now that 32-Bit MiPro will no longer be supported in the near future and with MapX missing some features getting more and more important like file formats and tiled background maps: Is there a now and in the future supported component provided by Pitney Bowes that can be embedded in an MS-Access Form to display a map?
    Is it technically possible to embed the map display from 64-Bit MiPro in a 32-Bit MS-Access-Form?
    Can a MapXtreme-Map be directly embedded in an MS-Access Form?

I'm still missing MapX, since COM seems to be happily alive and a search with google finds many people longing for such an easy to use component it's a miracle for me, why it's no longer developed/supported.

Thanks for any hint
    and
    Merry Christmas!

Stefan

• 2.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Employee
    Posted 12-27-2018 00:16
    Hi Stefan,

It is not possible to embed the map display from 64-bit MiPro in 32-bit MS Access Form, as in 64 bit MiPro we are not supporting COM based window re-parenting.
    As far as I know MapXtreme-Map can be embedded in VB.Net, but not in VBA based MS-Access- Form application.

Thanks
    Anshul

------------------------------
    Anshul Goel
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 3.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Posted 12-27-2018 05:26
    Hi Anshul,

thanks for the information!

Putting it all together: No Pitney Bowes Mapping Component that can be embedded in a 32-bit MS-Access Form?

MiPro 64-Bit does have a COM-Interface, that you can access via vba, - without a map display you can control 64-Bit MiPro even from a 32-Bit MS-Access application.

But since the new 64-Bit MiPro is strongly bound to .NET: Is it technically possible to embed a 64-Bit MiPro MapWindow in a 64-Bit MS-Access Form?

Thanks again
    and
    Regards

Stefan

• 4.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Employee
    Posted 01-10-2019 05:13
    Hello Stefan,
    MiPro 64-Bit has COM interface but only allow executing and evaluating mapbasic commands. 
    I am not sure if it would be directly possible to integrate 64 bit MiPro .net assemblies in 64 bit VBA application, but you can try the below article to try something.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37074533/canonical-how-to-call-net-methods-from-excel-vba

Thanks
    Anshul

Anshul Goel
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 5.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Posted 01-11-2019 03:12
    Good morning Anshul,

thanks for this very interresting article.
    So it might be possible to use some MiPro functions without starting MiPro in full in the background, - if i get the idea right.

For the here mentioned problem it might not be the solution, cause the main problem is the map display in an Ms access form. The sample applications that come with MapBasic 17 show how to generate a .NET Form with an integrated MiPro MapWindow. But that would mean opening up a separate window, not integrated in the MS-Access GUI and i would like to have an integrated Map, where Access takes care about the form/window handling.

thanks again
    and
    best regards

Stefan

• 6.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Employee
    Posted 03-03-2020 16:44
    Starting with MapInfo Pro 2019.1 you will again be able to use COM to host a MapInfo Pro Map or Browser window inside another application.

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team

• 7.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Posted 03-06-2020 03:02
    Hi Bob,

- i was too fast with my previous post, - question already answered, sorry.

Around what time can we expect the release of 2019.1?
    Is there a planned beta testing that i can join?

Thanks and regards

Stefan

• 8.  RE: Map-Display in an MS-Access Form?

Employee
    Posted 03-06-2020 13:47
    The release is planned for the end of this month. @Andrei Veselov will contact you about trying out a private build.​

Bob Fortin
    Software Architect and Distinguished Engineer
    MapInfo Pro Development Team