Geocoding

View Only
  • 1.  How to Utilize Global Result Codes

Employee
    Posted 05-20-2019 08:44

One of the most popular questions I get about PB Geocoding is around our global result code. It is called "Precision Code" or "Geocoder Match Code" depending on what Spectrum geocoding module you use.

What does that 10 character code mean and how should I use it to determine a successful geocode?

The code can appears like this, "S8-PNTS-ZA"

Most people focus on the 1st two characters "S8", to define a successful geocode. An "S8" means an address point geocode was returned by the geocoder. What I tell people is the 3rd to 9th characters may tell even more valuable information about how well the input address matched our geocoding address reference data.

This set of result code characters "-PNTS-Z" indicates the geocoder did not find a match to the address number or city and that a correction was made during geocoding. It is very important to understand this because having the geocoder return a high accuracy point location but matching it to the wrong house on the street can really make a difference for some geocoding use cases where high match and location quality is critical.

Global result codes can be a powerful tool for interpreting a high quality geocode.

How do you utilize geocoding result codes?

To learn more detailed information about global result codes follow the web link

http://support.pb.com/help/spectrum/18.2/en/webhelp/GlobalGeocodingGuide/index.html#GlobalGeocodingGuide/source/ResultCodes/Intl_Geocoding/forward_geocoding_codes.html

------------------------------
    Jeff Rueger
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC
    Troy NY

• 2.  RE: How to Utilize Global Result Codes

Employee
    Posted 06-20-2019 08:57
    Very helpful post on a confusing subject for many people - thanks!
    Dave​

[Dave] [Sepowski]
    [Support Analyst]
    [Pitney Bowes]
    [Troy] [NY]