Confirm

Expand all | Collapse all

Update/delete Feature Document Links

• 1.  Update/delete Feature Document Links

Posted 12-08-2020 03:46

I was wondering if there was a way to either remove or update document links on bulk by either a batch tool or import etc.
    I am familiar with the import process for creating new document links but this only appears to create new links and not change existing links.

We have been using Confirm for a long time and as you can imagine a lot of things change such as the storage location of documents/photos that have been linked to features in Confirm or the need to archive photos to reduce network storage and therefore remove the links that no longer work. We would have potentially thousands of links that may require modification or removal so manual process is not really viable and it would be more productive to just leave them as broken links and import new ones if needed.

I expect the answer will be to run SQL on the database or manually remove them but wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced a similar need or solution to change links on mass.

Thanks

James

------------------------------
    James Corletto
    City of Salisbury
    Salisbury SA

• 2.  RE: Update/delete Feature Document Links

Posted 12-08-2020 07:18
    Hi James

If the Document Location field on your Document Links screen starts with $Document$ or $Document Store$ the location of the document/photo is the path in the Document Store Folder, on the Document Links System Settings screen, plus the rest of the path in the Document Location field.

For example, if the Document Location field is $Document$ABC.08-12-2020-123465.jpg and the Document Store Folder path is \\Server1\Confirm\DocLinks the path used by Confirm to launch the document is \\Server1\Confirm\DocLinks\ABC.08-12-2020-123465.jpg.

For links like this, if you move all the photos to a different server or folder, you only need to change the path on the Document Links System Settings screen for the link to still work.

The Import Anything Agent or Import Data utility can be used to import Document Links records into Confirm but records can only be inserted and not updated via the import. This is because the specification does not include a unique identifier for a Document Link.  The spec is in the Confirm help files and in Using Import Anything to import Document Link records into Confirm.

Regards

Chris Wareham
    Principal Software Support Analyst
    Confirm

• 3.  RE: Update/delete Feature Document Links

Posted 12-08-2020 07:33
    Edited by James Corletto 12-08-2020 07:34
    Thanks for the response Chris,
    I should have mentioned that these documents are not in the document store as it was prior to configuring the document store and were photos imported from audits prior to using Confirm Connect over the last 10+ years and photos are stored in a network folder.

Your last point confirms what I expected from my understanding of the import anything specification.

I also assume that the only way to get these document links into the document store is to
    manually do so now by for each document

James Corletto
    City of Salisbury
    Salisbury SA

• 4.  RE: Update/delete Feature Document Links

Posted 12-08-2020 08:57
    Hi James

If you do want to go down the route of leaving the Document Links with broken links and importing 'duplicates' with the correct link, you can create a Data Source, based on the database tables in SQL in Using SQL to show Document Links in Confirm, to identify file paths that no longer exist and the entities (Features, Defects, etc.) they are linked to.  Ignore references to Street Works because that module is not used in Australia.

If you want to change the existing Document Link records, that will require update SQL.

Regards

Chris Wareham
    Principal Software Support Analyst
    Confirm