Confirm

Expand all | Collapse all

Updating Confirm Map Layer

• 1.  Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 05:10
    Hello,

We have been doing a lot of work to update and correct our feature table for WSF according to the NSG, but we have just noticed that the map itself is not updating even though the feature group has "Use Confirm Database Map Layer" selected and the layer selected on the Map is correct.

How do we go about ensuring that any features etc that have been end dated are removed and the new features are seen on the map?

Thank you in advance.

------------------------------
    Ana Resende
    Gloucestershire County Council
    GLOUCESTER

• 2.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 05:15
    Hi Ana,

If you've made spatial updates directly within the Confirm Database Map Layer (Blue C), then these changes should be instantaneous in the map.

The only anomaly is when you end date a feature and have 'Date Filtering' switched on for that layer within the Map Workspace Manager. If you made a Feature 'dead' today, the Date Filtering would remove the object from the map view as of midnight tonight. Perhaps you are running into this and it's confusing to see that the objects are still in the map layer?

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve

Steve Bish
    Senior Software Support Analyst
    Confirm

• 3.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 05:35
    Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply. I thought that what you say was precisly what should be happening, but we have just discovered it isn't happening.

For example: we have USRN 94000878, the site itself was closed on the 04/04/2014 but the previous managers of Confirm hadn't picked this up. when Confirm moved to us (GCC) i did a check, realised it was a closed road and end dated the feature as 02/2019. This road renamed and replaced by USRN 9410228, which has a live feature in the correct Feature Group (WSF1)

Having checked today on the map, when you zoom to the location and ask for the information on the site, it brings back 9400878 and nothing on the new feature. Hence the question.

(tried putting screenshots but for some reason the thread is not letting me upload files)

Ana Resende
    GLOUCESTER

• 4.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 06:01
    Hi Ana,

Having had a quick look at your Map Layer 'WSF: Highways', I can see that Date Filtering hasn't been applied on the Map Workspace Manager for this layer. If you apply this, you should start to see the Dead/End Date Features drop off the map.

Also, the new 'WSF' Feature on Site Code 9410228 doesn't appear to have been digitised yet. You can identify this be recalling the Feature on the Site and selecting the Map icon; you will be presented with the Map window and a prompt saying 'Unmapped Features'.

Regards,
    Steve

Steve Bish
    Confirm

• 5.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 06:11
    Ah! that makes total sense now. Thank you!

One last question....is there a way to mass check which features aren't mapped and map them all? or do we have to go through each individual feature and check the map? if the latter, how do we digitise?

Sorry and thank you :)

Ana Resende
    GLOUCESTER

• 6.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 07:11
    Hi Ana,

No problem, there isn't a way to mass digitise the Features in Confirm, these would need to be done individually.

You do have the option of using 'Feature Map Layer Import' if you have an existing map file containing the digitisations; you'd need only make a match on Central_Asset_Id and Confirm will import the digitisation against the matching Feature in Confirm.

To identify assets that do not have any spatial information against them, the Sp_Geography field will equate to NULL.

See the example SQL below that may be used in a Data Source in Confirm to help you pinpoint these:

SELECT
       feature.site_code,
       central_site.site_name,
       feature.plot_number
    FROM
       central_site,
       feature,
       feature_type
    WHERE
       central_site.site_code = feature.site_code AND
       feature.feature_type_code = feature_type.feature_type_code AND
       feature_type.feature_group_code = '<CHANGE THIS TO YOU WSF FEATURE GROUP CODE>' AND
       feature.feature_deadflag = 'N' AND
       feature.sp_geography IS NULL​

Note: You'll see that you need to amend the Feature_Group_Code to reflect that of your 'WSF' Feature Group Code, which of course can be changed to any Feature Group you like. I've also included the Feature_Deadflag = 'N' in there to only be looking at Live assets. When creating the Data Source you can also add in the Feature Table as a Linked Table, allowing you to drill-down the records to the Feature screen. This may make the process of working through and digitising these assets a bit easier.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    Steve

Steve Bish
    Confirm

• 7.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 08:46
    Hi again,

thank you. I tried the SQL code you advised and I keep getting an ORA-00911 error; when i tried the code line by line to try to see which one was causing the error, it turns out that the last line is -  feature.sp_geography IS NULL.

Not sure why it says that is an Invalid Character.

Also, we don't have a map file with the features unfortunately, which is why it took us so long to get to where we are now. So, if we have to do it one by one, how do we do it?

Thanks again.

Ana Resende
    GLOUCESTER

• 8.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 09:44
    Hi Ana,

Try removing and re-typing that last line, I'm not sure if it's not translating well when you copy and paste from the forum post perhaps.

With regard to digitising these, you'd need to select the globe icon on the Feature screen. This will then open the Map window with the 'Unmapped Features' screen towards the bottom. Ensuring that the Feature record is highlighted (in blue) in the lower section, use the mapping toolbar to plot the road.

In this example, you would use the 'Add Line' tool to draw out the road, double-clicking to complete and then saving and closing the map window afterwards.

Regards,
    Steve

Steve Bish
    Confirm

• 9.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 11:17
    Thanks Steve... I was afraid you were going to say that! turns out we have over 1,200 features unmapped in the group (the sql is now working as i typed it up rather than C&P)

the Feature Map Layer Import - do you know what the specification for these files and where they need to be saved for the transaction to pick them up?

When we last did it the files were there already so not sure where they are found.

Again, thanks.

Ana Resende
    GLOUCESTER

• 10.  RE: Updating Confirm Map Layer

Posted 08-04-2020 11:50
    Hi Ana,

If you take a look at the Help Topic 'Feature Map Layer Import', this will guide you through how this import utility works.

Essentially you need the mapping file to contain a column named central_asset_id. This column is then used to make a match on the Feature's Central Asset ID in Confirm and the map object in the mapping file, which will ensure that the right geometry object gets imported against the right Feature.

You can upload your mapping files to the OnDemand environment, either via your SFTP or the Confirm File Explorer, and place them under the MapData folder. You could of course create a sub-folder within here as well if you like.

Regards,
    Steve

Steve Bish
    Confirm