Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  hyperlinks to websites

Posted 05-27-2020 10:26
    Hi, probably another easy one for the experts on here.

I've loaded up a MapInfo table that has some web addresses in the data e.g. www.randomwebsite.co.uk into spectrum and added the layer to a map.

In the Template manager I've created a custom template for this layer and for that specific column I've 'tried' to make it a text hyperlink. However I notice that 'something' is adding "my machine name:8010/connect/analyst/mobile/" to the path before the www and rendering the link useless.

Have I misunderstood what this function means? Is there a setting to turn off the machine name bit that I'm just not seeing?

TIA

Nick

------------------------------
    Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 2.  RE: hyperlinks to websites

Posted 05-28-2020 06:01
    Hi Nick,

It looks as though SSA is thinking this is a hyperlink to a file on your system.  That is, it is looking for a file called "www.randomwebsite.co.uk", and looks for this in the SSA root folder (http://[servername]:8010/connect/analyst/mobile).

Try adding "http://" to your web addresses.  I think you can specify a prefix within SSA - otherwise update the data in the MapInfo table.

James Nolet
    Dooley Mitchell & Morrison Pty Ltd
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 3.  RE: hyperlinks to websites

Posted 05-28-2020 07:33
    James,

Many thanks - worked a treat.  Decided to update the data in the table as I like consistent data rather than apps adding bits here and there.  Pro still treated data as a hotlink so all good.

Now just to figure out why SSA adds the word 'unsafe' to a path when trying to use a mapped drive letter to some pictures.  I'm wondering if there's a PDF somewhere that I'm missing that explains all this.  Lots of Spectrum help files just include those ultra helpful messages like "Press SAVE to save your settings".  :(

Thanks again

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD

• 4.  RE: hyperlinks to websites

Posted 05-28-2020 08:52
    Hi Nick,

I'm glad that worked with your web addresses.  Good luck with the "unsafe" issue.  This is not SSA's doing but the web browser itself, and can be frustrating.  The "unsafe" keyword is added for files that you are attempting to open from a network drive.  I believe the most common solution for this issue is to use a virtual path in IIS (See here for a discussion on this).  Alternatively, you could move the images to either the web server (so you can access them via a http:// link) or the SSA server, but that isn't usually a very good solution given the large size of imagery files.

James Nolet
    Mentone, VIC, Australia

• 5.  RE: hyperlinks to websites

Posted 05-28-2020 09:45
    James,

Thanks again.  And thanks for the link I certainly wouldn't have thought of searching for that description! 

Actually space on the SSA server isn't an issue so moving them there and re-mapping the drive within windows and Pro will be the solution.  Long term I guess it'll all be up in the cloud so will change to that eventually.

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD

• 6.  RE: hyperlinks to websites

Posted 05-28-2020 10:07
    Hi Nick,

Keep in mind that files on the SSA server will be relative to folder "C:\Program Files\Pitney Bowes\SpectrumSpatialAnalyst\Tomcat\AnalystConnect\webapps\connect\mobile\".  This equates to http://[servername]:8010/connect/analyst/mobile in SSA (I think I have this right).

So if you place an image called "image1.jpg" in

C:\Program Files\Pitney Bowes\SpectrumSpatialAnalyst\Tomcat\AnalystConnect\webapps\connect\mobile\Photos\

then the path in your MapInfo tab file will need to be "Photos\image1.jpg"

Unfortunately this might upset your hyperlinking in MapInfo.  You might need two fields.

James Nolet
    Mentone, VIC, Australia