Spectrum Spatial (SSA/LIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Posted 07-12-2020 23:35
    Edited by Timothy Righetti 07-13-2020 00:59
    Hi I've noticed this issue since 2019.1 S13; 

• The initial map extents can no longer be saved using any of the 'save project' buttons (Everything else saves, except the extent isn't applied)
    • The <mxp:InitialCentre> coordinates on WebDav backend for project is ignored by SSA (I've tried manually changing)
    • It appears that switching to another project using the drop-down list, is what now saves the map extent for that project
    • Switching map projects is the only way i can now save the project at the correct starting location/scale, so when the page is refreshed it starts at that location

I have 'Retain map view' ticked on in the global settings, but this behavior has changed since S13, as it used to just retain the location when switching projects, and a refresh would bring the map back to the saved initial location.

I don't know if this is relevant but I deleted the 'default' map project and functionality profile recently, if that may explain anything.

Is this intentional or happening to anyone else, or just me? It's occurring on both our test and production servers.

Regards,

------------------------------
    Timothy Righetti
    Senior Spatial IT Business Analyst
    Nillumbik Shire Council
    Greensborough VIC

• 2.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Posted 07-16-2020 22:37
    Hi,

Just to add that I am seeing the same issue in "Spectrum SpatialAnalyst   Version 2019.1 S08" as well.

In versions prior to 2018 I think there was a place to do this in Map Configs but I can't see it either in the Project Settings -- Extents tab in SSA or in spectrum (SpatialServerManager/#/project/properties).

There should be a place in the Extents tab to set the initial zoom and center point rather than relying on the state in which the project was last saved by an admin as then everytime they make a change they have to remember to zoom to the optimal centerpoint prior to saving.

Regards,

George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 3.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Posted 08-05-2020 07:40
    There is a workaround for this. You have to untick 'Retain map view' checkbox in '#/project/properties/globalprojectsettings' page and clear cache from the browser to load updated global settings. Now if you change zoom or center and save, it should work fine.

Subhash Chaudhary
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 4.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Posted 08-05-2020 18:31
    Edited by George Corea 08-05-2020 18:31
    Thanks Subhash,

Unfortunately I think most users want to retain the extents from one project/configuration to another.

The 'real' fix is to bring back the control we had in v12 as in https://support.pb.com/help/analyst/12.2/admin_guide/en/index.html#contexts/settings.html#settings__boundsandstartingposition

We should be able to set this in the extents tab for each config.

This functionality should never have been removed. Saving the center whenever a project is saved is painful as then admin users have to be careful to remember and go back to the center and zoom level everytime they make a different change.

Regards,

George Corea
    Mangoesmapping

• 5.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Posted 08-05-2020 18:45
    Thanks Subhash, that workaround worked until I changed map project again (with retain extent ticked on). 

Similar to George, our users want to retain the view without zooming out to the whole council area so they can quickly inspect layers from other projects at the same location. 

The simple initial extent setting from previous versions makes a lot more sense, especially considering it rarely requires being changed.

Timothy Righetti
    Senior Spatial IT Business Analyst
    Nillumbik Shire Council
    Greensborough VIC

• 6.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Employee
    Posted 08-05-2020 21:39

@Mustafa Ismail @Andy d'Andilly 

Could you please take a look and review this request?

To me it sounds like a valid request and expectation that users should have the ability to set the map's initial view on a per project basis, which was possible in v12.2 as pointed out in the documentation link shared above. In the current versions, this is not possible and furthermore, if using the 'save project' option to save the map view is the intended solution going forward, this means that users need to be careful not to inadvertently save a map view whilst saving other changes to the map project.

(Our partner Mangoesmapping has also ​raised this via a support case in which I am currently awaiting further feedback from Engineering team.)

​​​

Dave Kuo
    Software Support Analyst
    Pitney Bowes

• 7.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Posted 08-06-2020 21:40
    I will also throw my support behind this change.

You could possibly have both options by allowing the map centre to save when a project is saved but also have an override setting in the extents tab, this would allow users to quickly create a map and save it where they want it but also give more advanced users the ability to set a static map centre and zoom.

Duri Bradshaw
    Spatial IT Consultant
    Insight GIS

• 8.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Employee
    Posted 08-10-2020 21:49

Thanks for all the input so far. Our product architect is reviewing this request and I have asked if it could be taken up as a priority item.

In the meantime, I have also added this to our Ideas Portal and would kindly ask you all to give it a vote to promote the importance and relevancy.

https://ideas.pitneybowes.com/ideas/SSA-I-363

Dave Kuo
    Software Support Analyst
    Pitney Bowes

• 9.  RE: Initial Extent not saving correctly (2019.1 S13)

Employee
    Posted 08-12-2020 06:38
    UPDATE: the original issue where using 'Save project' does not allow the current map view to be saved upon refreshing/reloading the map project has been acknowledged as a bug under SSS-6829. It is planned to be fixed in the upcoming 2020.1 release.

The desired ability to set initial zoom/centre + pan-able extents via project settings is being considered in a future release as per the suggestions made. It should also be possible in project settings for specific projects to disable re-setting initial zoom and centre when saving a project in SSA itself. This would ensure that admins making changes to layers in SSA and saving a project do not inadvertently change the extent they set.

In these circumstances (when re-setting zoom and centre are disabled) having an option for end users to override it and choose to update the zoom and centre in the project from the current view is also needed. Either an option when saving a project (to override the zoom and centre) or an additional SSA side menu to update the project view are being considered.

Dave Kuo
    Software Support Analyst
    Pitney Bowes