Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  Address Location Listings vs Consumer Data Listings

Employee
    Posted 10-07-2019 16:45
    Edited by Amy Metz 10-07-2019 16:46

There is a lot of hype going around about data files out there that contain over 300M address locations. This feels a little impossible to me for an address list containing unique locations.  Even if the address lists contained duplicate records (alias street and city names) I am not convinced it would have upwards of 300M records. Consider this:

• The USPS has a database of only 159M locations where they deliver mail
    • The US Census American Fact Finder 2018 stat of housing units is 138,537,078
    • The US Census American Fact Finder 2018 stat of citizens over the age of 18 is 253,768,092

Do you think this is being confused with a Consumer Database?

------------------------------
    Amy Metz, PMP, PMC-III
    Product Manager - Address Data
    Pitney Bowes
    White River Junction, VT
    802-698-3571
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/?trk=

• 2.  RE: Address Location Listings vs Consumer Data Listings

Posted 10-09-2019 08:49
    another possibility Amy is that indeed they have a database of over 300 Million addresses, but the geography is larger than the USA (i.e. it includes other countries). 

If the geography is the USA, then your consumer database theory is a viable one, but I think they may have simply created a list of potential addresses - for example taking a 1-99 range and expanding it to 1,3,5,7, etc regardless if they physically exist...

Tom Gilligan
    Pitney Bowes Software, Inc.
    White River Junction, VT, USA

• 3.  RE: Address Location Listings vs Consumer Data Listings

Employee
    Posted 10-09-2019 08:55
    Excellent point Tom.  In the conversations I have had, it was referring to US only.  But I can definitely see more than 300M locations across the globe.

Amy Metz, PMP, PMC-III
    Pitney Bowes
    White River Junction, VT
    802-698-3571

• 4.  RE: Address Location Listings vs Consumer Data Listings

Employee
    Posted 10-13-2019 11:09
    So a few things for US addresses:
    1) Are secondary addresses included in your counts?
    2) So if it is a consumer at an address - some third party data companies (LexisNexis, Experian is two I know of) include address histories of current address and prior addresses for a consumer - one vendor I am aware of said that they had 10 years of addresses for a consumer. 
    3) Tom has a point about walking thru all potential house numbers in the street ranges (or PO Boxes in the PO Box range) - but there will not be DPV validation on non existent houses, PO Boxes and the Vacant possibility that DPV provides.

Bill Marsh
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 5.  RE: Address Location Listings vs Consumer Data Listings

Employee
    Posted 10-15-2019 10:18
    Good insights Bill. 
    Yes, in an address location database, I believe it is acceptable to include secondary addresses (units, apts, suites).  

I like your point in a Consumer database, you might have historical addresses for a person based how many places they have lived. This certainly can spike the record counts.

Amy Metz, PMP, PMC-III
    Pitney Bowes
    White River Junction, VT
    802-698-3571