Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  Iron Viz 2019 Championship Recap

Posted 12-02-2019 11:01
    Iron Viz might've been a few weeks ago but the data world still can't stop thinking about the amazing vizzes created by the champions on stage. Don't worry - if you missed it you can still check out the three vizzes and even download the workbooks from Tableau Public. Here's a quick recap to get you started:

Viz 1: The Taste of America
    Contestant: Joshua Smith
    In this double dashboard, viewers can see how international cuisine is represented in the United States. Using restaurant points of interest data, the viz shows the distribution of different cuisines in each state, as well as which cuisines and regions are homogenized across the US.

Viz 2: Restaurant Rival Revealer
    Contestant: Lindsey Poulter
    This detailed business dashboard uses demographic and points of interest data to show how restaurants stack up to their competitors. By choosing a restaurant from the drop down, viewers can see both the distribution of locations in terms of population and top competitors. 

Viz 3: Diverse Diners
    Contestant: Hesham Eissa
    The diverse diners dashboard highlights the presence of foreign cuisine in countries around the world. Points of interest reveal that while the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Brazil have relatively high cuisine diversity, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Turkey, and Japan tend to have more traditional restaurant options. 

The championship ended in a tie this year between Joshua (Viz 1) and Hesham (Viz 3).  Who would you have voted for?

Want to get in on the fun? Show us what you can create with these datasets and be entered for a chance to win Apple AirPods! 

To enter for your chance to win, follow these three easy steps:
    1. Register or log in to the Software and Data Marketplace to download the Iron Viz data (found under the Sample Datasets tab). 
    2. Create your own Iron Viz using the data.
    3. Share your viz on Tableau Public with #PBData
    Submissions accepted until December 12th. Winner announced December 15th.

------------------------------
    Briana Brown
    Pitney Bowes

• 2.  RE: Iron Viz 2019 Championship Recap

Posted 12-06-2019 08:30
    @Briana Brown I like the bar map viz shown in Viz 1 and think thats a creative way to display (otherwise boring) tabular data spatially​​ - seeing the data spatially allows you to spot regional trends that are otherwise obscured, and I think its something for any Data Product to consider delivering when producing release notes or delivering an analysis. 

It also shows me that I should consider a side business opening a Latin American restaurant here in New England (or perhaps I shouldn't?) since they are dramatically below the national average.

Tom Gilligan
    Pitney Bowes Software, Inc.
    White River Junction, VT, USA