Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  Adding Data into Tableau?

Posted 06-13-2019 14:34
    Any Tableau users on here? I want to make it easier for Tableau users to integrate Pitney Bowes data into the software to help improve their visualizations...How are you using data in Tableau? Anything in specific that would make your job easier?

------------------------------
    James Tobias
    Data Product Manager
    Pitney Bowes

• 2.  RE: Adding Data into Tableau?

Employee
    Posted 06-14-2019 14:56
    Hi James, I have done a bit of work on Tableau with data. I generally look to flatten data as best possible and use clear field name conventions. However the critical part has always been having IDs in the data that allow you to easy link with other data. Address, locality, post/zip code are great - address in particular provides fantastic matching to customer data, but statistical boundaries are fantastic for bringing in demographic and geo-demographic data.

Gerry Stanley
    Pitney Bowes Australia Pty Ltd
    Macquarie Park

• 3.  RE: Adding Data into Tableau?

Employee
    Posted 06-19-2019 06:54
    Hi James

I have worked on Tableau and know it quite well. If you have any specific use case/design in mind to support clients/prospects, I can help to create.

Dr Neena Priyanka
    Pitney Bowes Software India PVT. Ltd
    Noida

• 4.  RE: Adding Data into Tableau?

Posted 07-31-2019 05:13

We've successfully integrated tile services into Tableau as alternatives to the Mapbox defaults. I understand that the latest version of the software includes significant improvements to the mapping capabilities, but there's still quite a gap between this "casual mapping" and what's possible in software like Pro.

I've spoken with many colleagues in the data industry about whether supporting Tableau as a platform would be a good idea. The consensus, which I agree with, is that while Tableau is not "cheap software", users tend not to spend more than their software investment on data… the opposite of what we find in the GIS world. This may well change though.

Warren Vick
    Europa Technologies Ltd.
    London, U.K.