Data Points

View Only
  • 1.  It's all in the name

Employee
    Posted 07-02-2019 06:48
    As we approach the 4th July and our American colleagues celebrate their independence from the UK I was reflecting on the impact the UK had on US geography. One of the the most prominent is the names of their Towns and Cities, Boston, Plymouth, Manchester, Lincoln. There are many examples. However they seemed to have overlooked some of our more eccentric town and village names and I wonder why?

Here are some of the ones they overlooked.
    https://brilliantmaps.com/weird-place-names-uk/

You can search for more but beware!

Personally my favourite place name is a former village now suburb of Bradford in West Yorkshire, UK. The place is called Idle. The opportunities are endless.

Idle Electricians
    Idle Construction
    Idle Doctors
    Idle Scouts

The best though is Idle Working Men's Club, brilliant. Club members include Yuri Geller (Spoon bender extraordinaire), Elton John, Roger Moore and Paul Gascoigne. (and Michael Jackson).

Do you have a favourite silly name for a place?

------------------------------
    Andy Bell
    Director
    Global Data Product Management
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data
    Leeds, UK

• 2.  RE: It's all in the name

Posted 07-03-2019 10:47
    About 15 years ago, I drove from Phoenix, Arizona to Las Vegas. About 100 miles northwest of Phoenix, I drove past a sign on US Hwy 93 that read, "Nothing. Unincorporated Place." Except for a dilapidated gas station/general store (closed), the place lived up to its name. 

So, yes, I once drove out into the middle of the desert for Nothing. 

Andy Cybruch
    PITNEY BOWES SOFTWARE, INC

• 3.  RE: It's all in the name

Posted 07-03-2019 11:00
    Andy,     I'll counter with some top US silly names for each state;   http://mentalfloss.com/article/502251/funniest-town-name-all-50-states   

Just be careful if you plan on visiting Slickpoo, Idaho :-)

[Chris] [Mabey]
    [Director]
    [Pitney Bowes Software and Data Solutions]
    [White River Jct.] [Vermont]

• 4.  RE: It's all in the name

Employee
    Posted 07-03-2019 12:20
    Chris, I wonder if Boring Maryland is full of Civil Engineers? Always loved the phone book entry, Civil Engineers see Boring.

There is literally Nothing between Phoenix and Las Vegas, good name.

Andy Bell
    Director
    Global Data Product Management
    Pitney Bowes Software & Data
    Leeds, UK

• 5.  RE: It's all in the name

Posted 07-03-2019 12:39
    Hi Andy - in light of our celebration of American independence, there is a nice list of patriotic cities @ https://www.nlc.org/patriotic-sounding-city-names:

• There are thirty-one places nationwide with "liberty" in their names. The most populous is Liberty, Missouri with 29,581 residents.  The state of Iowa boasts four such towns, which is more than any other state: Libertyville, New Liberty, North Liberty, and West Liberty.
    • Thirty-one places are named "eagle" after the majestic bird that serves as our national symbol. The most populous community is Eagle County, Colorado, with a population of 51,359, then Eagle Pass, Texas, with 26,401 residents.
    • Twelve places have "independence" in their name. The most populous of these is Independence, Missouri with 109,400 residents.
    • Nine places adopted the name "freedom," including Freedom, California, with 6,000 residents.
    • There are five places in the country that are named "America," the most populous being American Fork, Utah, population 25,596.
    • There is one place named "patriot" - Patriot, Indiana, with a population of 195.

​I've visited Independence, Missouri (its just outside of Kansas City)and its a nice Midwest city...no clue on all the others.

Tom Gilligan
    Pitney Bowes Software, Inc.
    White River Junction, VT, USA

• 6.  RE: It's all in the name

Employee
    Posted 07-03-2019 18:24
    New Zealand does its best to break data field parameters, particularly Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu. 
    The meaning of the name has been translated to mean "the place where Tamatea, the man who had big knees, the climber of mountains, the slider, the land-swallower that traveled about, played the nose flute that he had to the loved ones." With 85 characters, it is the longest place name in the world according to the Guinness World Records. There are many funny names in New Zealand, when looking for them be sure to sound them out using proper pronunciation, 'Wh' is pronounced 'f' in Maori. Its makes for a great driving game when travelling around the country.
    Photo of town sign

Gerry Stanley
    Pitney Bowes Australia