UK Users Group

View Only
  • 1.  Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Posted 06-20-2019 04:52

I have been asked to generate a map for an emergency planning exercise. There is no data as such but essentially I need to generate a file to be printed out which shows smoke/fumes over a small area from a certain point. It's outside of what I normally do and I wondered if anyone had any visual examples and/or suggestions about how best to achieve it and make it look visually correct (or just appealing). I could just display a polygon over the area and shade it but just wondered if there is a better solution.

Many thanks
    Martin 

------------------------------
    Martin Dowler
    CHESHIRE & WIRRAL PARTNERSHIP NHS TRUST

• 2.  RE: Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Posted 06-20-2019 07:46
    Hi Martin,

Interesting!  I guess the main issue would be wind-direction, but if this isn't being considered in this exercise then your suggestion of using a polygon to represent the 'cloud' would be best.  I would make it irregular, rather then just a circle, and make it grey with transparency, so the base mapping can be seen.  Here's a couple of examples I've just knocked up using the eclipse tool and then merging objects together.

I guess you could add a symbol to show the point of escape, if that was relevant. 

Interesting to see what others come up with.

Greg

Greg Driver
    Knowledge Community Shared Account
    Shelton CT

• 3.  RE: Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Posted 06-20-2019 08:21
    ​Thanks Greg I will do that.

Martin Dowler

• 4.  RE: Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Employee
    Posted 06-20-2019 09:08
    You can also download any of these fancy plumes of smoke images and insert them as images on the layout on top of your map.

It might however be a bit harder to locate these images correctly in the map and maintain that location if you zoom or pan the map.

These images were found here: https://ya-webdesign.com/explore/smoke-plume-png/
    But you might be able to find other similar images on other sites. The site above seems to provide free images but I haven't studied the licenses closely.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Pitney Bowes

• 5.  RE: Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Posted 06-20-2019 11:45
    Plume modelling Martin? Plume modelling...

There is some free software from the US called Aloha​ (been around donkeys years and used to pay for it).
    It is mostly used for chemical spills/emergencies and has a huge database behind it of every concoction that
    would represent a problem if accidently spilled or released. It then takes in parameters of volume and wind speed
    and direction to produce a Plume. Export to KML and pop it into MapInfo...
    https://www.epa.gov/cameo/aloha-software

Could be handy?

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 6.  RE: Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Posted 06-21-2019 06:13
    ​Thanks all of you for the answers. I simply now have to decide how much time I have to spend on the project!. The plume images look good and they are copyright free (useful site!) and the Aloha software also looks a useful tool with some good supporting documentation.

Martin Dowler

• 7.  RE: Advice on how to display plumes of smoke

Posted 06-24-2019 04:39
    Hi Martin

You may want to look at the CHEMET data provided by the Met Office.The data they supply usually consists of a dispersion point and a several polygons generally detailing high and low risk areas and an associated time period the data is valid for. Have a look at this for an example CHEMET leaflet

Regards

Liz

Liz Walker
    3TC Software Limited