MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  MIP Multi-core aware?

Posted 05-11-2021 05:17
    Hi,

Can anyone please assist with an update on MIP/MID, and being multi-core aware? 

Our MID's versions (Ver 19.3, 2021, MID) all run so slow when processing task we assign. It's just incredible slow - appreciate the datasets are mod-large at times

I pull up the windows CPU and GPU, and note that MID only ever gets to <=15% of my high spec PC's with heaps of RAM

I have also completed similar functions / test using e.g. ArcGIS Pro and note the CPU and GPU get up as high as 70-90%

Is MIP/MID multi-core aware? I get the feeling its only using a single core and a very small percentage of the available PC chips/ram

If MIP/MID is not multi-core aware, I reckon its about time 'percisely' took a look at their software and moved it along a bit.

Cheers, Mike

------------------------------
    Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 2.  RE: MIP Multi-core aware?

Employee
    Posted 05-11-2021 05:51
    What processing are you performing, Mike?

Some of the Object Processing tools are able to use multiple cores. For instance Buffering.
    There is a thread on support for multiple processors here.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: MIP Multi-core aware?

Posted 05-25-2021 03:39
    Hi Peter,

Switch to Esri, ArcGIS Pro - multi-core aware and access your GPU as well - WoW what a breeze!!

MIP is so out of date. Single core  for most of the tools / functions we use daily

Don't get me going about the truncation of the <32-charater and all the other out dated tools/function in MIP (current ver that is)

Get this one, MIP offers extended tab format, then a number of the tools in MIP don't support the extended format. 

Go get a coffee (or lunch) while MIP does a basic process!! 

Cheers

Mike Woodbury
    Knowledge Community Shared Account

• 4.  RE: MIP Multi-core aware?

Employee
    Posted 05-25-2021 07:32
    Mike

It would be helpful if you could be a bit more constructive in your criticism.

Exactly which processing are you performing on a daily basis?
    Hard to give you any advice when you speak in generic terms.

Also be aware that if you are using third-party tools with MapInfo Pro, this is not the place to complain about these. I'm pretty sure all the tools in MapInfo Pro work with the Extended Tab format. Again, if you could be specific to which tools, we might be able to help you out.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 5.  RE: MIP Multi-core aware?

Posted 05-25-2021 07:50
    Hi Peter,

Will be happy to generate a list of tools that don't support the extended format in MIP. I believe a number are under Discover, which I appreciate are (3rd party) outside of MIP.

It appears to me that Arc, can achieve a task, which cannot be executed in MIP. I referred to the splitting function in MIP, and the same process was run in Arc.

Arc split / generated ~1700 obj, and MIP only split / generated 1180 obj. As well, the metadata in the MIP output tab file was not incorrectly assigned.

A case was raised with MIP support last year for this exact issue.

Cheers, Mike

Sent from Mike W iPhone