MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas for displaying data

Posted 11-19-2020 11:47
    Hello everyone,

I am needing some ideas how to modify some data for visual display. I have an excel document with a list of addresses that I need to display in such a way that the number of times an address is listed is visually represented. So I am think that if an address appears in my data sheet 1-5 times it displays as a certain color or size, 5-10 times a different color/size and so on.

My first idea was to add a column and start categorizing that way 1-5, 5-10, 10-15 etc but there are so many that I don't have time to manually categorize them this way.

Do you all any ideas for using SQL Select of the Update Column function that would do this for me?

My data set a an excel document showing the list of all 911 calls for a specific area. I need to display it in such a way that the number of times first responders went to a certain address is shown versus all of the points being displayed that same.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Rachel Taylor
    GIS Analyst

• 2.  RE: Ideas for displaying data

Posted 11-19-2020 12:20
    Rachel,

Are the address details exactly the same?  If there is slight variation you may need to map to postcode only, etc.

Assuming column called postcode.  SQL would be:

Select:  postcode, count(*), centroidx(obj), centroidy(obj)
    Group By : postcode
    Into : selection

This should give you a browser with a count per postcode and co-ordinates.  Save a copy of Query1.

Open copy and create points from co-ords.

You can then use thematics, labels, etc on the count column.

If the address details are identical you can select and group by the full address.

Regards,

Nick

Nick Hall
    Mapchester LTD
    nick.hall@mapchester.co.uk

• 3.  RE: Ideas for displaying data

Posted 11-23-2020 11:06
    I'll give it a try.

Thanks!