MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

• 1.  MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-05-2020 05:31
    Hi there,

just upgraded my MiPro 2019 installation with the new 2019.1.
    The upgrade installed MS Access 2016 64-Bit dbEngine and now I'm unable to open any MS-Access db with MS Access, - and MS Access doesn't start as well.
    A Quick repair of MS-Office didn't solve the problem and the online repair revealed, that the installation now has a problem and cannot be repaired!

Before that installation, MiPro worked with ms access and ms access was working standalone too.

Any suggestions how to solve this without installing all software again?

Thanks and regards
    Stefan

• 2.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-05-2020 08:39
    Hi Stefan,

Can you try to remove 2016 engine using Control Panel>Program and Features and then do office repair?

Regards,
    Andrei

------------------------------
    Andrei Veselov
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.
    Troy NY

• 3.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-05-2020 14:37
    Hi Andrei,

after that dialog appeared (see above) MS Office setup had already removed the entire Office installation.
    I had to remove all 64-Bit ms access engines to install MS Office again. After the new installation i had to reactivate the software.
    After that i wasn't able to install the ms access 2016 64-But engine, even with the /passive option, so I installed the 2010 version.
    With this version installed MiPro 2019.1 was able to open ms access database files.

So why is this 2016 access runtime installed at all?
    Is it really needed?
    And was this tested before release, - this simple upgrade installation cost me at least 1,5 h time.

regards
    Stefan

• 4.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-06-2020 10:39
    I am having the same problem with Excel and Word.

Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 5.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-07-2020 08:28
    MI installs a 64 bit engine for Access which will wreak havoc if you happen to have a 32 bit version of MS Office installed.  The 'solution' is to uninstall the 64 bit engines, (there were two that I found), and then reinstall MS Office.  I really wanted to install the 64 bit version of MS Office, but the option was not available because....there were 32 bit pieces of the previous installation that I couldn't find and get rid of.

Robert Wright
    HYATT CORPORATION
    Shelton CT

• 6.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-08-2020 03:33
    Well,

after all this repair sessions MiPro 2019.1 can access MS-Access databases, but the parallel installed MiPro 15 32-Bit cannot.
    When i try to open an access-db i get the error message: The microsoft jet engine is not available for an error description.

Any ideas how i get my formerly fully working machine back to it's working condition?

regards
    Stefan

• 7.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-08-2020 08:42

I'm not sure you're going to like this answer, but the short story is that the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of MS Office cannot exist on the same system, it's one or the other.  The latest update of MI Pro installs the 64 bit engine, which 'wrecks' the 32 version of MS Office.  I don't know if you can install the 32 bit Access engine if the 64 bit version is already installed but if I were a betting man, I would say NOPE.  The MI Pro 32 bit will work on the same machine as the 64 bit version, but when it comes to accessing MS Office files, (Access), it's going to be one OR the other, but not both.   I'm not a software wizard, but that would be my guess based on past experience.

Bob

• 8.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-08-2020 11:24
    There was previously a post (probably about 2 years ago) about the proper steps to install the Microsoft components, and I successfully had 32 bit Office working alongside 32 bit and 64 bit MapInfo Pro, but 2019.1 has broken some of my Office apps (notably MS Project, which will no longer start).

Unfortunately, the old post is no longer available, and searching this forum I was only able to find posts that link back to the old article that no longer exists. It was at:
    How to resolve errors when opening Excel files in MapInfo Pro 64-bit (LINK NO LONGER WORKING)

I will see if I can recreate the instructions/process from memory and post back here.

Sean Loos
    MAPPING SOLUTIONS

• 9.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Employee
    Posted 04-09-2020 08:27

If, after installing MIPro 2019.1 and the Access 2016 engine, alongside a 32 bit installation of MS Office, you get the messages that Word, Access, etc., is corrupted or needs to be repaired, etc., please try the following:

Open Registry (regedit)
    Locate this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\FilesPaths.

If there is a mso.dll value, either delete it or rename it. 

After deletion or Renaming the registry, then refresh the Registry and try to execute Word, Excel, Access again and check if it's working.

Let us know if that works.
    We did some investigation and found this seems to resolve it.  Let us know if you find otherwise.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY

• 10.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-09-2020 08:40
    Hi all,

Main reason for us to move from installing 2010 Access driver to 2016 driver was to address potential vulnerability issues. In a current world many organizations go through vulnerability acceptance tests and do analysis which open source and 3rd party libraries are installed with a product.

Office 2010 driver from Microsoft requires VS 2008 Runtime libraries  and some vulnerabilities tests flag it as a very old version of Visual Studio and that triggered our switch to a new version of the driver.

We are looking into making some installer changes to make a process less painful for our users.

Regards,
    Andrei

Andrei Veselov
    Pitney Bowes Software Inc.
    Troy NY

• 11.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-09-2020 08:47

Thanks for the guidance, Bill.  What I ended up doing was deleting two 64 bit access engines, then reinstalling the 32 bit Office application. 

I first attempted to 'repair' the 32 bit Office applications using MS repair application, but in doing so MS office 'disappeared' from my system.  I suspect that in the process of trying to repair it, the application presumed that the existing files were corrupted and deleted them, so there were not Office applications even 'visible'.  When the MS application tried to reinstall Office it failed because the 64 bit engines were there.  So, then I deleted the 64 bit engines which allowed the reinstallation of 32 bit Office. (For some unknown reason, the option to install 64 bit Office is not available on my system).

I'm back in business as far as Office is concerned and 2019.1 is working, I was able to open and work with an excel file with MI 2019.1 but attempting to open an Access file failed because, well the Engine was obviously not available. 

I suppose that I can uninstall 2019.1, then reinstall it and try your fix so that I can use Access files.

Bob

• 12.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-09-2020 09:02
    If I may suggest that you create a backup copy of your registry before attempting to modify an entry or deleting one.
    Ronald G. Guenther Support Contractor  WSR-88D Radar Operations Center 1313 Halley Circle Norman, OK 73069 Ronald.G.Guenther@noaa.gov 405.573.3409  "The contents of this message are mine personally and do not necessarily reflect any position of the Government or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration." 

• 13.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-09-2020 09:38

Bill:

I uninstalled MI 19.1, restarted the machine, then installed 19.1.  I renamed as suggested and the fix appears to work, Office works, I was able to open Access and Excel files in MI 19.1. 

Bob

• 14.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Posted 04-09-2020 08:59
    Hi Sean
    There is this article  https://support.pitneybowes.com/SearchArticles/VFP05_KnowledgeWithSidebarHowTo?id=kA180000000CrZPCA0&popup=false;&lang=en_US

John Ievers
    CDR Group
    Hope Valley, United Kingdom

• 15.  RE: MiPro 2019.1 Maintenance upgrade wrecks Office 2019?

Employee
    Posted 04-09-2020 12:24
    This info is also in the MapInfoProInstallGuide.pdf  in the \Professional\Documentation folder. 
    Topic:  Installing 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Office Drivers

Bill Wemple
    Principal QA Engineer
    Pitney Bowes
    Troy, NY