MapInfo Pro

View Only
  • 1.  Integer Formatting in Browser and Info Tool (No 1000 separator)

Posted 09-12-2021 21:25
    Is it possible to change the Mapinfo Pro display format for integers in the Browser tab and info box so it doesn't use a 1000 separator. i.e. displays
    1234567 not 1,234,567.

The reason, when you copy paste the value into other systems it copies the commas and not all systems recognise the format.

------------------------------
    Jason Hemingway
    Coordinator Asset Mgt & GIS
    Cassowary Coast Regional Council
    Innisfail Australia

• 2.  RE: Integer Formatting in Browser and Info Tool (No 1000 separator)

Employee
    Posted 09-13-2021 09:02
    Hi Jason

MapInfo Pro is using the Windows Regions Settings when displaying numbers in the Browser and the Info window. If you configure the Regional Settings to not use a digit grouping separator, you should see that in these windows.

It does however worry me a bit that you say it fails when you copy the value from MapInfo Pro and paste it into other systems. I would assume we would copy the numeric value, not the displayed value.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

• 3.  RE: Integer Formatting in Browser and Info Tool (No 1000 separator)

Posted 09-13-2021 19:22
    Thanks Peter that works, bit annoying though that I would have to impact the readability of the rest of the system to make it work.
    This issue has been an annoyance for a couple of years now as without application linking it is the quickest way to find assets in our asset system (actually even with application linking it is still quicker).

But your right I would expect it to read the underlying number and not the masking, but it doesn't appear to do so.

Jason Hemingway
    Coordinator Asset Mgt & GIS
    Cassowary Coast Regional Council
    Innisfail Australia

• 4.  RE: Integer Formatting in Browser and Info Tool (No 1000 separator)

Employee
    Posted 09-14-2021 02:02
    Hi Jason

You are right. We do seem to copy the formatted number and not just the numerical value.
    Apparently, programs like Excel works in a similar way. If you format a cell in Excel as a number and specify it to "Show 1000 separator", you will also copy that separator if you copy the value from the cell.

If you copy an entire row, we do not include the "1000 separator" in the values.

I added an idea to improve this to the Precisely Ideas site.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data