MapInfo Pro

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Show Legend

• 1.  Show Legend

Posted 02-17-2021 13:23
    Is there any way to change the default that always shows the legend in a map window (which can be disabled by clicking "Show Legend for This Label")?  Also how can I disable the "No Active Legend" that appears in the Map Window (and any saved windows)?

------------------------------
    Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 2.  RE: Show Legend

Employee
    Posted 08-18-2021 02:08
      |   view attached
    Hi Rex

Is it this legend here you want to get rid of?

When you disable all your thematic layers, the legend window looks like this:

You'll need to get the classic Thematic Legend Manager tool that we had back in 32-bit. I have attached it to this post.

When you run it in a 64-bit MapInfo Pro, you can access its features from the Tool Extension window. Make sure the map window with the embedded legend is your active window before using the tool.

To remove an embedded legend simply click the Embed Thematic Legend menu item from the dropdown on the tool in the Tools window.

Let me know if this works for you.

Peter Horsbøll Møller
    Principal Presales Consultant | Distinguished Engineer
    Precisely | Trust in Data

Attachment(s)

zip
    Legends.zip   7 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Show Legend

Employee
    Posted 08-18-2021 03:32
    PS: With the upcoming MapInfo Pro v2021, you can right-click on the embedded legend and remove it.

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 4.  RE: Show Legend

Posted 10-26-2021 13:01
    Hi Peter,
    I've downloaded this tool and find the same as Rex above - if I click on Embed Thematic Legend in the tool, or untick it in the Thematic Legend window in the tool, as soon as I move the map in the map window it comes back.  Is there anything else I can try in 2019.3 Release Build 41?  
    Thanks,
    Jane

Jane Mason
    Biological Records Officer (GIS), Suffolk Biodiversity Information Service, UK

• 5.  RE: Show Legend

Posted 08-25-2021 09:49
    Yes - it works temporarily - if I Tab the window it reappears.  Will work for now.

Rex Edwards
    CAMPBELL AVIATION GROUP
    Alexandria VA

• 6.  RE: Show Legend

Posted 06-23-2022 07:47
    We have just moved from v17 to v2021.1 and have experienced this. In our case it appears to be related to the Sync Windows tool, as having it loaded causes the legend to appear, even when not actually syncing. This tool also has embedded legend controls similar to those in the Legend Manager Tool, which look to have appeared in there in v2019, and removing the legend from here or the right-click option causes the legend to reappear following a map pan / zoom.

The knock-on effect are the warnings / errors thrown when adding this map to a Layout, being the Reparenting to a frame, and then the Unable to clone Window.

Searching support I can only see a post stating embedded legends aren't allowed in 64-bit Pro so a decision must have been made to allow them and add the controls to the Sync Tool in v2019:
    https://customer.precisely.com/s/article/Resolve-issue-where-an-Embedded-Thematic-Legend-feature-is-missing-in-MapInfo-Pro-12-5-4-64-bit?language=en_US

For now I'm using the version 17 Sync tool with v2021.1 with no legend issues, however it would be preferable to have the latest version working correctly as it's become invaluable to our users working with multiple map tabs.

Darren White
    Derbyshire County Council
    MATLOCK

• 7.  RE: Show Legend

Employee
    Posted 06-23-2022 08:01
    Darren

I have passed this on to our support team.
    Let's see if they can get this sorted.

Good point about using v17 instead of v2021 of the Sync Windows tool

Thanks for raising the issue again

Peter Horsbøll Møller

• 8.  RE: Show Legend

Posted 06-23-2022 09:07
    Thank you Peter.

Darren White
    MATLOCK

• 9.  RE: Show Legend

Employee
    Posted 06-27-2022 09:08
      |   view attached
    Try this out and let me know.  Needed to restore some old code to check for embedded theme legend windows that was omitted when tool was updated for new UX only.  For several versions MIPro x64 did not support embedded theme legend windows until v2019.  This fix for SyncWindows should do the trick.  Sets a flag if you remove the embedded theme nd then checks that flag to restore\not restore it in the winchangedhandler part of tool.  Fix will be going into future release of 2023, but you can try it now.

Regards.
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Principal Software Engineer, Quality Management
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

Attachment(s)

zip
    SyncWindows.zip   19 KB 1 version

• 10.  RE: Show Legend

Posted 06-28-2022 07:18
    Hi Bill,

Many thanks for that, will take it for a test drive.

Regards

Darren

Darren White
    MATLOCK

• 11.  RE: Show Legend

Posted 06-29-2022 04:17

Hi Bill,

The updated tool still misbehaves a bit.  On selecting remove the legend from the current window, it behaves as before i.e., the legend reappears when zooming or panning.

When selecting remove from all windows it does disappear permanently, but only for that session, when MapInfo is next opened the legend returns.

Thanks again for looking at this, we'll keep using the v17 tool for now.

Regards

Darren

Darren White
    MATLOCK

• 12.  RE: Show Legend

Employee
    Posted 06-30-2022 09:42
    I did not change behavior for removing legend from Current Window. it was still same as before. I can use same logic for removing embedded legends from all windows. As for a new session of MIPro this would only change if user saves a workspace. SyncWindows tool only changes these during the session. It does not save these settings to a workspace, the user has to do that themselves (Save Workspace or Save Workspace As...). Users may not want these changes saved to a WOR.

Bill Wemple
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

• 13.  RE: Show Legend

Employee
    Posted 06-30-2022 10:10
      |   view attached
    Just updated SyncWindows for handling for handling of embedded legends in Current Map Windows.  These are only session changes done by the SyncWindows tool.  If you want them permanently removed you need to Save Workspace\SaveWokspace As... as stated earlier.
    Give it another try if you will.

Regards,
    -Bill

Bill Wemple
    Precisely, Inc
    precisely.com

Attachment(s)

zip
    SyncWindows.zip   19 KB 1 version